Thread: Chamonix, Wilderness 5x7?

Chamonix, Wilderness 5x7?

Hi all; my first post here as I'm jumping into LF from MF and (gasp) digital. I'm considering the Chamonix 5x7 and have read here and elsewhere generally very good reviews. I've also seen some scant info about the Wilderness cameras and was wondering if anybody has one, or has used one and would like to comment on quality/functionality. From the pics I've seen, the Wilderness build quality looks a bit less refined than the Chamonix, but the all-metal construction is appealing to me. Thanks in advance for any informed thoughts.

Re: Chamonix, Wilderness 5x7?

Hello Freezer,

I have had a Chamonix 5×8" camera for almost 3 years. The build quality of the camera is very good, during my time with the camera I have not found anything really wrong with it. It's a joy to use. If you are interested, you can have a look at my website and read about my impressions with the camera.

Now, I have looked at the specifications of Wilderness 5x7" camera, Chamonix 5x7" and also Shen-Hao 5x7" - Wilderness is heavier than the rest. Just from a quick scan, Wilderness's bellows draw is only about 425mm, the Shen has ~480mm bellows draw, the Chamonix 520mm (I am comparing the reversible back version, not horizontal only, as that one is a bit limited in it's use) - that speaks greatly in favor of the Chamonix. My Chamonix 5x8" has a bellows draw of nearly 600mm and I would not want it to be shorter... Also in other parameters to me the Chamonix is a clear winner...

But you don't say where you are located - it might be possible to find a willing user of a said camera near you for you to have a look at one...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    Hello Freezer,

I have had a Chamonix 5×8" camera for almost 3 years. The build quality of the camera is very good, during my time with the camera I have not found anything really wrong with it. It's a joy to use. If you are interested, you can have a look at my website and read about my impressions with the camera.

Now, I have looked at the specifications of Wilderness 5x7" camera, Chamonix 5x7" and also Shen-Hao 5x7" - Wilderness is heavier than the rest. Just from a quick scan, Wilderness's bellows draw is only about 425mm, the Shen has ~480mm bellows draw, the Chamonix 520mm (I am comparing the reversible back version, not horizontal only, as that one is a bit limited in it's use) - that speaks greatly in favor of the Chamonix. My Chamonix 5x8" has a bellows draw of nearly 600mm and I would not want it to be shorter... Also in other parameters to me the Chamonix is a clear winner...

But you don't say where you are located - it might be possible to find a willing user of a said camera near you for you to have a look at one...

Jiri
    Thanks much for the reply, and I've seen your website (really beautiful photos!), and your other posts about the Chamonix. I'm in San Francisco, btw. Good point about the bellows- I hadn't put too much thought into that. The Chamonix does look more refined than the Wilderness, so it may be more enjoyable to physically use, which is important...

When I bought my Canham, I was a whisker away from springing for the Chamonix. The thing that swayed me was the fact that the reversible model was much more money than the one that was horizontal only. I happen to like vertical shots. Another factor was the fact that I found a good deal on a gently used Canham. After purchasing the Canham, I had the opportunity to play with a Shen Hao. I was very impressed with it as well.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!