Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5X7 Glassless Negative carriers

Re: 5X7 Glassless Negative carriers

This is a Zipper glassless negative carrier. The close up image of the carrier, when clicked on & enlarged shows the name. In the photographer's estate sale, I found two of them. One is the 5X7 carrier, the other is 3" X 2 1/4", a film size. I have heard & read about , but never used. Thank you for posting a reply. For a while. I thought I would not find anyone who knew anything about , or had ever used the carriers. What enlarger do you use? I started doing darkroom work on my own in 1979 in Chicago. There was a used equipment photo store called Dark Room Aids. I spent a great deal of time there. Thought I had seen just about everything there was to see in darkroom gear. Never heard about or saw the Zipper/Kriser negative carrier. If any of you out there, remember Dark Room Aids. You will understand, when I say. It housed, just about anything you wanted in darkroom equipment. I bought my 2nd enlarger from there. Owner allowed me to buy Omega 5X7 E3 auto focus cold light enlarger on installment plan. I was able to take it home, & pay it off in about six months. That was around 1980 In 1978 found old Burke & James wooden 5X7 flat bed camera W/lens, in a Chicago pawn shop, for $90.00 while I was in school. For three years. I either made contact prints, or only enlarged portions of the 5X7 negative, using Omega D2 enlarger (the one with three sets of condensers).

I see that this is a very old thread, but maybe your still around. I would like to build one of these carriers for my elwood and from the looks of things the topframe just holds the negative flat from the shear weight of it ? no spring action that I cansee ?

I can supply images of a 5X7 Elwood as I have one in hand

Mine is a sliding aluminum carrier for 5X7 and I have a steel 4X5 converter

OE was spring clips, but mine are missing

Thick glass works fine with thinner glass below

Quote Originally Posted by Squamish View Post
    I see that this is a very old thread, but maybe your still around. I would like to build one of these carriers for my elwood and from the looks of things the topframe just holds the negative flat from the shear weight of it ? no spring action that I cansee ?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I can supply images of a 5X7 Elwood as I have one in hand

Mine is a sliding aluminum carrier for 5X7 and I have a steel 4X5 converter

OE was spring clips, but mine are missing

Thick glass works fine with thinner glass below
    Images of the 5x7 would be very helpful thankyou