Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for Arca Swiss F (8x10) owners

Re: Questions for Arca Swiss F (8x10) owners

I have the normal for 4x5 two 15 cm rails on a 30 cm bench. Since adding an 8x10 back, I have an extension rail to the mix probably about 20cm, but it's at home and I'm not. Both standards fit nicely on the 15 cm rail, and that's a great way to carry the thing around. Given that, I think your 'asymetric' idea would work well.

Like others here, I'm using this camera screwed directly onto my tripod with no head. I find it a bit inconvenient because the tripod is an old bogen with a geared column and the rail does not line up nicely with the legs and the column doesn't rotate. It makes for a good sturdy platform, but not really possible to aim the camera very far from level. I might get one of those 'leveling heads' one of these days. I think *for me* it might make good sense.

Thanks for the input Mike

Hello from France

I good friend of mine has an Arca Swiss F-classic 8x10" and he uses it with a B2 ballhead (the B2 has separate tilt controls on both directions, unlike the B1)
    The B2 is now discontinued and is replaced by the Z2+ which is smaller and ligter but as strong (Z2+ display model at the recent 2012 photokina, fitted with the new "Monoballfix" small plate system, of course you can have it fitted with the traditonal quick-release plate system, same width as the telescopic F-line rail)

Using a short 15cm rail in front is exactly what Arca Swiss offers with the 8x10" misura model, where the rail is foldable in two unequal halves, 15 cm in front and 27 cm at the back. I doubt that this very special rail specific to the 8x10" misura is sold separately, though.
    However using a telescopic rail with a 15cm element rail in front, as used in the field by many arcaphiles, allows to collapse the whole camera into something extremely compact, depending of course on the bellows in use. As far as I understand it (this was explained here a few years ago by one of our forum contributors), you can easily slide/detach the whole camera collapsed on the 15 cm rail element, from the telescopic rail, you store the camera and then detach the rail from the tripod head.
    Images of the 8x10" misura to see the 15cm + 27 cm folded rail
    the official portrait
    an un-authorized portrait, recently "stolen" in Köln ; the camera is supported by a d4m ballhead, with the small plate attaching system, same width as the folding rail alone, or same width as the upper parts of the telescopic rail assembly

joseph

Arca Swiss rails can be cut-
    15cm is too long for a standard backpack, but a shorter rail means you can fit that 8x10 easily.

Anyone in the market for a 4cm Arca rail, or should I save it for April first?

Thanks for the info Emmanuel.
    I've also been to Photokina and have seen the Misura...
    I'm now getting the camera with 15cm+30cm units on a 40cm bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Hello from France

I good friend of mine has an Arca Swiss F-classic 8x10" and he uses it with a B2 ballhead (the B2 has separate tilt controls on both directions, unlike the B1)
    The B2 is now discontinued and is replaced by the Z2+ which is smaller and ligter but as strong (Z2+ display model at the recent 2012 photokina, fitted with the new "Monoballfix" small plate system, of course you can have it fitted with the traditonal quick-release plate system, same width as the telescopic F-line rail)

Using a short 15cm rail in front is exactly what Arca Swiss offers with the 8x10" misura model, where the rail is foldable in two unequal halves, 15 cm in front and 27 cm at the back. I doubt that this very special rail specific to the 8x10" misura is sold separately, though.
    However using a telescopic rail with a 15cm element rail in front, as used in the field by many arcaphiles, allows to collapse the whole camera into something extremely compact, depending of course on the bellows in use. As far as I understand it (this was explained here a few years ago by one of our forum contributors), you can easily slide/detach the whole camera collapsed on the 15 cm rail element, from the telescopic rail, you store the camera and then detach the rail from the tripod head.
    Images of the 8x10" misura to see the 15cm + 27 cm folded rail
    the official portrait
    an un-authorized portrait, recently "stolen" in Köln ; the camera is supported by a d4m ballhead, with the small plate attaching system, same width as the folding rail alone, or same width as the upper parts of the telescopic rail assembly

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Arca Swiss rails can be cut-
    15cm is too long for a standard backpack, but a shorter rail means you can fit that 8x10 easily.
    It turns out that it perfectly fits in a Think Tank Accelerator.