Thread: Exposed sheet film storage

Exposed sheet film storage

Once the sheet film (4X5) is exposed, what is the best way to keep the exposed film for transport to a lab? Is there a name for a device to put the exposed film in? Can the exposed film be mailed to a processing lab?

Thanks for helping my education.

Jim McClain

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Exposed sheet film storage

This has been covered 1000 times, but here is the 1001 time: an old film box (all three parts). If your lab is local they will generally accept the film holders and return them with the processed film. Yes it can be mailed... preferably in an old film box (all three parts) marked with yoru name, phone number, type of film, number of sheets, and a request to return the old film box with the processed negs.

p.s. I'm no mind reader but I know what your next question is. Here is the answer: Post a WTB for a couple of old film boxes (all three parts) and someone is likely to have some for you.

Welcome to the forum, Jim!

Welcome to this forum Jim.
    I am new to large format as well, just exposed my first 6 sheets, black and white, yesterday. My strategy is to leave the exposed film in their film holder right until it there is time (or opportunity) to develop them, maybe tomorrow. The trick is to have as many holders as you can, which should exceed what you need for a (reasonable) day's work. In a few weeks, should have a first empty box to use.
    J. K.

Welcome to our world Jim!

There are many ways of managing film, holders and all the other gear that goes into and out of (and back into) your camera bag.

Having a lot of film holders is one way.

This HAS been discussed before— many times. The most LF photographers use the boxes that film comes in.

I typically load a box of ten sheets into my five holders at night for shooting the next day. Now I have an empty fresh box with packing. After a day of shooting, the film holders are changed in a changing bag or tent. The exposed film goes back into the box (and maybe the packing) it came from and the film holders are reloaded from a fresh box of film.

This is how I do it. There are other systems for handling your film. No doubt, some other way is more efficient or more Zone System friendly. The point is, find a way that works for you. Storing exposed film in old film boxes (all three parts) until it can be developed works fine for many folks.

Cheers.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

As I had no old boxes, nor even black plastic bags, I did two-part envelopes out of black paper (some 200g/sqm thick) and black electrical tape (duct tape turn out to not be completely light-tight). Outside part has Velcro fastener. No fogging so far.