Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a thinner back for an Ebony 45S?

How to make a thinner back for an Ebony 45S?

I'm trying to figure out how to get all the rise the 72mm Super-Angulon XL is capable of on my Ebony 45S. Although there is no problem with infinity focus when the lens is more or less centered, the top of the back of the lens fouls the top front of the back frame beyond an inch or so of rise, i.e. long before the lens runs out of coverage. (There is of course a layer of bag bellows between the lens and the back frame). 2.4mm more backward travel in the extended rise position would solve the problem. One solution would be to have someone (Hiromi or Richard Ritter?) carve an indent into the top front of the back box (ugly). Or somehow make a back that moves the ground glass closer to the camera--not easy as it is only 5mm away now.

Obviously a recessed lens board is not the solution; the back of the lens needs to be in the same spot regardless of where the camera front is.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and how have they solved it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThinEbony45back1.JPG   ThinEbony45back3.JPG   ThinEbony45back4.JPG  

Re: How to make a thinner back for an Ebony 45S?

It looks like it is fouling on the bellows. How about having a proper bag bellows made.

Get a bag bellows made

is the lens mounted in a lens board with the hole offset below the center line? Would it help to have the lens mounted in a lens board with the hole drilled in the center - or even custom drilled a little above center?

Isn't the back of an Ebony SW45 thinner? If you could either get the back of a SW45 or have yours modified it might give you what you want.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.SW45.html

Jeff Keller

I guess I did not express myself very well. The top of the box, NOT THE BELLOWS, prevents infinity focus when the lens is in a high rise position. As I said there is just one irreducible thin layer of bag bellows between the lens and the box. Even if the bellows were removed the back of the lens would still hit the box as it approached infinity focus. The front of the ebony 45S bellows IS a bag bellows. Bag bellows has nothing to do with it, nor does the position of the hole on the lens board.

Jeff, it does look as if I'll have to mod my camera. Problem with the SW45, which certainly looks as if it would work (aside from cost), is that the much greater max extension of the 45S makes it a more universal camera.

I had hoped someone might have experience they could share with making an ultra-thin back and thus perhaps avoid surgery on the camera. A friend has suggested modding a plain flat-plate Arca back, but I don't have one to look at to evaluate the feasibility.

Find a 75mm lens ? Wouldnt that solve the problem ? Not the answer you're looking for, but that will give you the 3mm's, and you wont really notice a difference with 72 vs 75mm...

$250 gets you a Sinar F, cheaper than anything else.

John, it might be worth a try to see if Ebony Camera would replace your wooden back frame with one from an SW45. Replacing your 45S frame with a SW45 frame might give you the best of both cameras. Other than removing then reattaching the bellows, changing the back frame is probably easy.

The bellows and the rack are longer on the 45S giving the wider bellows range. The 45S back frame is probably deeper so that the longer bellows will fit completely inside when closed up. The titanium uprights of your 45S would probably work with the wooden back frame from the SW45. You would likely loose a little on the max extention ... the difference in the depth of the backs is all. Your bellows would probably be slightly exposed when your camera was completely closed up.

With the shorter min extention, your camera would be somewhat more useful with a roll film back.

Jeff Keller

I do not have any experience with your model, but I have the same problem with the SV45U2 (rated for 42mm max rise) and the WIDE45 (60mm). Ebony does not show the inside dimensions of the rear standard frames for their cameras. My SV45 is 159 by 159mm and the WIDE45 measures 149x149mm. Neither will allow taking advantage of the full capability of either the 72 S-A XL or the 90mm Super-Angulon XL lenses. Both will give their rated maximum with the 90mm, but the SX45U2, with the wide angle bellows, will only allow about 37mm in rise with the 72mm and the WIDE45, with its comparatively shorter and more flexible bellows will only allow about 32mm in rise with the 72mm lens due to its smaller frame.

In comparison, a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field camera with its larger rear standard frame, 187x187mm inside dimensions, will accommodate either of these lenses, with full movements and its seems to me, from what I can see, the larger frame is the solution. Just modifying your camera to allow the 72mm lens’s rear element to clear the top of the frame and obtain the full amount of rise your 45S is rated for, 50mm, will, I think, still leave the rear of the lens being partially covered by the camera’s frame and bellows.