Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scitex Smart 342L scanner modification.

Re: Scitex Smart 342L scanner modification.

hello.0.....

Well. I can say that the scanner is nice. It got the name - Smart-EX. I have compared it's scans with Eversmart Supreme scans. Scans of the glass USAF calibration target are better on the Supreme. The real films (BW and color) are slightly sharper on Smart-EX. Better focus?

Good news. Managed to install reflective lamps tray back in the scanner, though it took a lot of stareing at the thing and a lot of trimming of the metal parts of the tray. Now it is working again.

Compared SmartyEX (optically modified scanner) with Eversmart Supreme. The following is the USAF resolution target scanned on both. Eversmart Supreme is on the left. It is better on the glass target. On real films I prefer (slightly) SmartyEX scans. It is something magical appears when the scanner owns a great scanning geometry. May be it's only for me though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Supreme_vs_SmartyEx-Cropped_.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SURF View Post
    Good news. Managed to install reflective lamps tray back in the scanner, though it took a lot of stareing at the thing and a lot of trimming of the metal parts of the tray. Now it is working again.

Compared SmartyEX (optically modified scanner) with Eversmart Supreme. The following is the USAF resolution target scanned on both. Eversmart Supreme is on the left. It is better on the glass target. On real films I prefer (slightly) SmartyEX scans. It is something magical appears when the scanner owns a great scanning geometry. May be it's only for me though.
    I own 2 Scitex 340 scanners, 1 fully functional and 1 for spare parts. Does anyone know positively that the Scitex 340 can be modified in this manner?

I appreciate the post by SURF but unfortunately I'm not groking the mod. due to lack of details.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Hi Don,

Yes, the modification works well. I just made the adjustment for the lens, not cut the tray.

You need some extension rings (39mm) to lean the lens close to the mirror. On my own, distance between the mirror and the front lens is visibly around 1.5cm 2.5cm. To find the better resolution you must proceed step by step, one adjustment then one scan to check if the position is better than before. I used a USAF 1951.
    When you have found a correct position, you can also check it with the calibration software, only the focus data will work, other data are out of range.
    Then, finally, in photoshop, you have to reduce the width by twice to retrieve the proper ratio.

Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by asch View Post
    Hi Don,

Yes, the modification works well. I just made the adjustment for the lens, not cut the tray.

You need some extension rings (39mm) to lean the lens close to the mirror. On my own, distance between the mirror and the front lens is visibly around 1.5cm 2.5cm. To find the better resolution you must proceed step by step, one adjustment then one scan to check if the position is better than before. I used a USAF 1951.
    When you have found a correct position, you can also check it with the calibration software, only the focus data will work, other data are out of range.
    Then, finally, in photoshop, you have to reduce the width by twice to retrieve the proper ratio.

Pascal
    Thanks for the quick reply.

If I've understood properly this modification only affects scans for 35mm film format. Is that correct?

Where did you source the extension tubes?

Regards,

Don

Yes, it's correct. But the modification should be made for the other lens, I don't try yet.

I found some tubes (L39, M39) on ebay. Just be careful to the outside diameter, a sufficient length to keep the axis accurate, and the side of the thread (for exemple, on this tube, the thread is on the wrong side, you can't mount the tube within the lens mount of the carriage because of the protuberence).

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Let us know about the results of experimenting with the other lenses. BTW I have made a calibration slide for 110 mm lens extended. Now interpolation table is perfect. (It is responsible for exact channels match).

Happy New Year!
    Al

Hi Al,

Sorry, my english is often crappy, I meant I haven't tried yet with the other lenses.

Regards,
    Pascal

Bonjour
    j'ai un scanner Scritex smart 342
    celui-ci fonctionnant à présent avec MAC
    je souhaiterai soit le faire fonctionner avec un nouveau MAC, à l'avenir
    ou du moins avec mon PC

quelqu'un pourrait il m'aider

Merci