Thread: Making your own Tripod head QR plate

Making your own Tripod head QR plate

I've probably put my other question in the wrong thread, pardon my dislexia, so I'll repost it here.

I've just aquired a second hand Majestic 1000E tripod head, Whilst awaiting delivery I was wondering if anyone has practical experience of fitting a QR plate to these - looking at it, it seems to come with the 3" x 3-5/8" Platform, how easy is it to fabricate a plate suitable for a Manfrotto hex QR plate? Aside from fittings I have to hand some 3 or 4 mm thick aluminium sheets and a Manfrotto ball hear with the QR plate I require, Can anybody help me out with suggestions of what else I may require?
    This is the dislexia kicking in, I'm not sure what else I need I can sandwich two layers of the metal sheet together so that should be ridgid enough. But how is the best way of attaching the camera, do I use the Manfrotto QR plate, but then I need to find the best way of anchoring the plate to the head.
    Also as it is a second hand head, is there a service manual available to disassemble, clean and replace any parts in the head in need be (though I am hoping it belonged to a casual amateur who hardly used it).

Re: Making your own Tripod head QR plate

Could you just attach one of these?

http://www.adorama.com/BG394.html?gc...FQKe4Aod7nwAtA
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

Cheers, hadn't actually thought of an off the shelf soloution. Now it's just scouring Calumet or Robert White if I can get one in the UK, though I would prefer a hex plate solution as I have three, one lives on the Toyo, one lives on my RB67 and one is timeshare between the digital and the speed graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
    Cheers, hadn't actually thought of an off the shelf soloution. Now it's just scouring Calumet or Robert White if I can get one in the UK, though I would prefer a hex plate solution as I have three, one lives on the Toyo, one lives on my RB67 and one is timeshare between the digital and the speed graphic.
    Since you have hex plates, how about this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Hexagonal.html

Roger

Cheers for the link, though a little dissapointed the messed up "exchange rates" puts it at GBP£52.90 to £58.00 i.e $85.52 - $93.76 when bought in the UK, buying it from US factoring in shipping then customs puts it around or above these rates too. Another example of rip off Britain. . . £1.46 plus for One litre of petrol = $2.36. . .

If you have the aluminum plates, good for you.

For any who don't and are considering making QR plates, try Lexan(R) (polycarbonate). Don't know what it's called in other parts of the world, but it works well, machines well, and will withstand a .22 rifle shot without cracking. I've made several plates and they're all in service.

Good luck.

/s/ David
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    "Making tomorrow's memories by
    capturing today's happiness" (R)

Quote Originally Posted by David Beal View Post
    For any who don't and are considering making QR plates, try Lexan(R) (polycarbonate). Don't know what it's called in other parts of the world
    It's called polycarbonate everywhere I think. Lexan is a trade name of General Electric and is what we use in the UK.

Steve.