Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just missed out on the deal of the century - APO Ronars on *Bay

Just missed out on the deal of the century - APO Ronars on *Bay

I think that I have made it abundantly clear that I am in search of lenses and extremely frugel (read cheap). I came within six seconds of picking up a 240mm f/9 APO Ronar, 300mm f/9 APO Ronar, 150mm Ysaron, 105mm Ysaron, and 75mm Ysaron for $60. These were all in enlarger turrets so I would need shutters and the weight 50 lbs would have made shipping expensive but when I lost out I could almost cry. Sooner or later I will be upgrading/replacing my lens but the suspence is killing me. I had to share this with people who would understand because my wife and friends are not into photography. I hope nobody minds that this is not a question.

Ed

Edward,

I know EXACTLY what you mean but, as with all things on Ebay, they'll come back onto the block at some point in time. And, the funny thing is..."when you miss out on an item they'll appear time and time again."

When I first started buying the odd thing on Ebay I thought, "if I don't bid and win this item...I'll never see another one again!" How wrong I was in that belief!!!

The items came up again and again and again. The interesting thing was that when they did reappear, the prices were "usually" better than the one that got away. Go figure!

So, don't get too worked up over missing these items... they ALWAYS pop up again.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

$60 for all of that glass?!? I can feel your pain.

Assuming those were on eBay, I can't imagine how I missed them. Care to reveal what category they were listed under?

I saw that one. They didn't have barrels or anything did they?

They were overpriced!

I sorely sympathize. In some auctions, I too have experienced the pain, the loss of what I never truly had! My antidote: I counsel myself to have patience, shun auction fever, covetousness, etc. As fellow forum friends have said above, another one always comes along.

When I relax, surprises do come along. This week I got a brand new Schneider 135mm f5.6 Componon-S enlarging lens for pennies over $82!

A final note: Your banner line reads "Just missed out on the deal of the century..." But, the century still has 96 years left! Something better is probably in store for you.

ciao for now.................
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

For these lenses (I have bought probably 20+ different process lenses cheap over the years - the most expensive equivalent to about $$ 70 I think - brand new in box 240mm Apo-Gerogon), a bargain is at $$ 60 - but I guess You should be able to collect each single lens mentioned above for less than $$ 100 if You pop & out of e bay now & then - not too many is hunting repro lenses these days. I got my Klimch Apo-Ronar 480mm from E bay germany for less than $$ 50, the shorter Ronars tend to be cheaper, and the Ysarons are sold very cheaply as few know them and they are only 4-lens desgins (but quite sharp -I remounted a ysarex 127mm f 4.7 (the taking-lens version of the Ysaron) from Polarioid pathfinder in home-made tilt mount on RB67 & pictures vere very sharp)

Nick, the were each mounted in what looked like an enlarger turret so there was no barrel and no shutter.

As for deals of the century, my last one was my wife buying a set of golf clubs at a garage sale for $11.00. There was $15 in change in the pocket that holds the golf balls.

Dave, they were listed under lenses/for large format.

Edward, the price you saw is the second highest bidder's maximum plus the bidding increment. To have won the auction, you would have had to bid at least the highest bidder's maximum plus the bidding increment. The highest bidder's maximum is invisible.

"I was out bid by the bidding increment" is a common and false eBay lament. You have no idea of how high the winning bidder was willing to go.

The best thing to do is not play games. Bid your maximum and then accept the outcome. Not displaying interest, i.e., using a sniping engine to place your bid just before the auction closes may help a little by not encouraging the people who play stupid bidding games.

Cheers,

Dan, who was been outbid by $1 (or so it seemed) more than once.

Dan you are right but being outbid by a dollar makes a better story.