Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to LF photography, in SE Wisconsin.

New to LF photography, in SE Wisconsin.

I have been an avid photo enthusiast for several years, using digital 35mm cameras mostly (no film). I am most interested in photography related to my TRAVEL, which is extensive through work and vacations and mostly ex-US, and also landscapes and architecture in my home area and elsewhere in the US. I post some of my images at www.johnmowens.zenfolio.com. In order to challenge and enhance/improve my photography skills, and (hopefully) take some better pictures (sensu lato), I have recently purchased a Linhof MT Classic 4x5 camera and associated gear (all used but in v. good condition). I am fortunate that my wife indulges such hobby purchases, since she considers photography an honest and productive pursuit in a world where spouses can spend/waste/blow money and time on so many other distractions or bad habits (I needn't list examples). I look forward to using this LF camera mostly in my travels within the US, and more so as I look toward retirement within 4-5 years. So at this point I am at or near the base of the "learning curve" for handling and using this LF camera, and plan to read closely on this Forum in order to make wise decisions on additional gear and become proficient in its use. I am a member of a couple of local camera clubs that include a smattering of LF users, whom I also plan to ask questions of. I don't have any intention of trying to sell my photos, it's all about enjoyment and putting yourself and your mind into a different sensibility or experience than I had in the past as a non-photographer (i.e., judging the light, subject and potential compositions, etc.). The results should improve over time, and my thanks ahead of time to those who may respond to my "newbie" questions on this LF Forum. I am already impressed by the thoughtful and (mostly) helpful interaction I've seen in many threads. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Re: New to LF photography, in SE Wisconsin.

Hi,
    Welcome. I'm in New Berlin and only do lf and ulf as does my neighbor, Zhu. He uses an MT as his primary 4x5 and knows a lot about it. We belong to the Midwest Large Format Asylum, a loosely knit, no rules group who have monthly LF excursions and an annual print showing which is excellent. Our forum http://www.deepthought.com/smf/index.php .
    I hope we can meet in the near future and that you might want to try one of our Asylum outings...Cheers!..Evan Clarke

Hi,

Welcome from Fond du Lac.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Hi,
    Welcome. I'm in New Berlin and only do lf and ulf as does my neighbor, Zhu. He uses an MT as his primary 4x5 and knows a lot about it. We belong to the Midwest Large Format Asylum, a loosely knit, no rules group who have monthly LF excursions and an annual print showing which is excellent. Our forum http://www.deepthought.com/smf/index.php .
    I hope we can meet in the near future and that you might want to try one of our Asylum outings...Cheers!..Evan Clarke
    P.S. to earlier reply: Are there any good photo labs around in the Milwaukee area that LF photographers can use (and rely on) for developing B&W (negative) and color (slide) sheet film, and then to make prints as needed? I don't intend to do my own developing and printing, so would like to get started with a good nearby lab if there is one.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I don't know of any in Milwaukee, but Madison has: http://www.burne.com/
    I've only used them for 4x5 slide developing, but the quality was very good.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

There is one, but I don't do any color and have a huge darkroom setup for b&w so am really out of touch with that. My friend has used them, he is happy and I will get you the info.. Thanks for joining the MWLFA forum!!

Yong-ran Zhu

Hi!
    Welcome!
    Evan and I live in the same street and are large format camera users for many years. We do all darkroom work and hope to meet you soon.
    There is a lab in Milwaukee. http://www.tomfritz.com/pages/lab.html
    Tom is a very good larger format photographer.
    Yong-ran Zhu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I don't know of any in Milwaukee, but Madison has: http://www.burne.com/
    I've only used them for 4x5 slide developing, but the quality was very good.
    I use Burne on a regular basis for large format color slide film, and like Peter mentioned, they do good work. And greetings from Mount Horeb. Jim

Good to see the other cheesehead LF photographers. I hope to meet some of you in real life some time!

Join one of our outings..midwest large format asylum