Thread: What size filter adapter ring for a 12" Dagor?

What size filter adapter ring for a 12" Dagor?

A 12" f6.8 Goerz Dagor circa 1908 is joining my little glass menagerie but hasn't arrived yet. Does anyone here know what size filter adapter ring will fit it? Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

60.8mm according to my source. You will no doubt have to find a slip on adapter ring for series 8 filters. Series 8 is often close enough to 67mm that you might then be able to screw in normal, every day 67mm filters. Measure the diameter to see if the above dimension makes sense.

John,

If one had the opportunity to measure five different 12" Dagors from that period I would wager at least four of them would have different size thread. I have a 12" Dagor from the same period and it would appear to take about a 56mm screw on filter. But I have never actually found anything that would screw on to the thread.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks for the insight! I'm hoping I already have a slip on adapter that might fit hiding in the cannibal box. I'll just have to wait (impatiently) and see.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John - My 12" Series III Dagor #224,xxx measures just under 61mm, so Robert's 60.8mm figure is no doubt accurate. A 2 3/8"/60mm Kodak Series 8 slip-on adapter fits my lens. The Kodak Series adapter rings have "ears" that can be bent for minor changes in fit. As Robert says, 67mm filters screw right into a Series 8 adapter.

For all those odd size lenses what you want is something like the Lee Gel Snap or one of the clip-on holders for square filters. I have one made by Voss that has two barn doors, and I think I paid around $12 for it from KEH. Works perfectly on my 12" Dagor and 19" Apo-Artar, and various other lenses that are smaller than 3" in diameter.