Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

Re: What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Other than the focus knob being under the bed on the 110, instead of the front of the 900, aren't they basically the same camera?

*The 110A has separate VF and RF, the 110B and the 900 have the superior combined VF/RF, right?
    The 110B also has the f90 pinhole lens cover for the little 127/4.7 Ysarex lens. Dean Jones who makes the Razzle 4x5 Polaroid conversions reckons the 900 has the more accurate combined RF/VF w/parallax correction. The 900 conversions have also been fitted with some front swing/tilt/shift capability, not that it's a feature that's used much I imagine if you prefer to focus with the VF/RF and not the gg, especially as with hand held shots. But it's there if you want it. The 900 is a bit deeper and a little heavier than the 110 models, but not by much. There's been much disparaging of attempting handheld 4x5 shots, but if that's your thing, the Razzle offers a stable platform with shutter release by cable, so the release action does not move the camera. Less bulky than a Graphic. There a quite a few threads on the Razzles (I have no connection whatever) over on Photo.net which are quite explanatory, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by john biskupski View Post
    The 110B also has the f90 pinhole lens cover for the little 127/4.7 Ysarex lens.
    As did my 110A. I thought all of them had this.

Steve.

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by john biskupski View Post
    The 110B also has the f90 pinhole lens cover for the little 127/4.7 Ysarex lens. Dean Jones who makes the Razzle 4x5 Polaroid conversions reckons the 900 has the more accurate combined RF/VF w/parallax correction. The 900 conversions have also been fitted with some front swing/tilt/shift capability, not that it's a feature that's used much I imagine if you prefer to focus with the VF/RF and not the gg, especially as with hand held shots. But it's there if you want it. The 900 is a bit deeper and a little heavier than the 110 models, but not by much. There's been much disparaging of attempting handheld 4x5 shots, but if that's your thing, the Razzle offers a stable platform with shutter release by cable, so the release action does not move the camera. Less bulky than a Graphic. There a quite a few threads on the Razzles (I have no connection whatever) over on Photo.net which are quite explanatory, if that helps.
    Thanks -- That just about answers the question!

I have been shooting 4x5 for almost 2 years. I started with a Chamonix 045n-2 and recently picked up a Razzle 900 from Dean Jones. For me I use my converted 900 for shots I wouldn't otherwise get in large format. It is not the easiest camera to use but the results are unique and different enough from 6x7 to make it worth it for me.

I don't think these points have been mentioned...

The 900 has an easy (bright red "Press to Unlatch") open and close mechanism.

The 110 requires a bit of skill to open and close.

When you remove the back and the pressure plate, you lose a good deal of the dead weight.

Hey, here's a 4x5 chrome I shot on my Polaroid 900 conversion

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post934369
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've used all manner of converted Polaroid 110B' and 900's over the past decade. You can take a look here to see the latest Australian versions:
    http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/
    If you think they might not result in sharp images hand held then have a look here:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/111665555
    I have the 900 dual focus, it's a completely different animal and Frank is correct, Razzledog is a peach to deal with.

GF.

Dean Jones is a truly great stand-up guy so if you do go this route definitely talk to him ~ I've seen some other nice conversions as well, no offense to anyone. My general cautions about them (and remarks that a good medium format camera will often produce superior results) are based on my experiences with owning two, plus several other handheld 4x5 cameras. I'll stand by that too but by all means try one if you get a chance, they are fun/cool cameras.

Every time I read "Razzledog" I think of some rapper's stage name.

Though that's probably influenced by the stupid video I'm editing here of a live rap performance. Yuck.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Ha he is a middle-aged Australian man who really loves his dogs and cameras! It's possible he has never heard rap music.