Thread: How to Store Arca Swiss Bag Bellows?

How to Store Arca Swiss Bag Bellows?

I just purchased the synthetic bag bellows for my Arca Swiss Discovery to use with my 90 mm lens (and soon to be purchased 75 mm lens). When I got the bellows, they were neatly folded up into a fairly small space. I didn't pay much attention to how it was folded--just opened up the bellows and played with it. Now that it is unfolded, it is fairly bulky. I can't figure out how to refold it (or whether I should). I am concerned that improper storage might create permanent folds which will cause the bellows to intrude into the light path. Any input greatly appreciated.

--John

What I do is gently push the two metal frames together. I make sure there is no fabric folded between them. You can straighten the bellows material by gently pulling the fabric outwards. I then fold two parallel sides inward, then the other two over them. The bellows seems to have a preference for which pair of sides to fold first. I let it have it's way, I like to think that gives the least stress on the fabric. I seem to remember the bellows were delivered like this. I do not know whether that is proper or improper, but it works o.k. for me for a couple of years now. The advantage of folding the bellows in a small rectangular package like this is that I can place it next to the camera in my hard case.

Re: bellows intruding in the light path: I have adopted the habit of removing the back and pushing the fabric out with my fingers after roughly focussing the camera. That way you make sure the light path is unobstructed. That is not to say that I do not ruin the occasional shot now and then, but that is another thread...

Thank you! The exact information I was looking for. Will have a go at folding the bellows tonite.

--John