Thread: Gitzo tripod identity

Gitzo tripod identity

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gitzo-tripod-01.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	80415

Hello,
    can anyone identify the model and possibly the load capacity of the leg and column set?
    Approximately 49" standard spread, 19 1/2 closed. Approximately 7 1/2# wt. Four sections.
    Thanks,
    James

Re: Gitzo tripod identity

Knowing the diameter of the leg helps. Also the older ones had names on the circular top plate of the tripod but I don't see them here, so it's probably from the early 90s.

No names or numbers on legs or column. Tripod was at local swap meet, did not get diameter of legs. Thanks.

Looks like the Studex (300) series. Performance model. It might be the next step up -- it will depend on the upper leg diameter.

Just measure the diameter of the big leg. But I think it the shortest model in the 400-series because of the wing nut on the center column (the smaller ones lack that).

If it truly weighs 7.5# then we gotta winner. It will hold just about anything, very solid but kind of short.

If it matters, try this: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gitzo_tripods

I got one a few months ago that looks almost identical except possibly longer leg sections. The diameter of the legs on mine classifies it as a 4 series. Looking at some drawings on old parts lists yours might be a 3 series. http://images.outdoorphotogear.com/P...atics/G322.pdf or a 4 series.

When I was trying to identify mine I found some comments that there weren't always wing nuts on the legs of the 4 series. I don't know if any of the old metal 5 series were missing the leg wing nuts.

Good luck,
    Jeff Keller

Sorry, link to wrong picture earlier http://images.outdoorphotogear.com/P...atics/G346.pdf

The older 400s had wingless legs, as did the 300s. Mid 90s or so I started to see them appearing on the smaller tripods. The 500s always had wings I believe - even back when they were machine gun mounts for the French Army.

(I guess they must have been easy to pick up and run backwards with?)