Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 110mm Super Symma Hazer—Schneider Drops the Ball

110mm Super Symma Hazer—Schneider Drops the Ball

I just had an interesting conversation with Jeff at Badger Graphics. I have a 110mm Super Symmar XL that has developed internal haze. He informed me that Schneider will only honor their lifetime warranty for 5 years when the issue is haze developing—I was needless to say, surprised and disappointed as I bought mine more than 5 years ago. This is why Badger no longer sells the 80 and 110 Super Symmars. I'll give John Van Stelton a call later to see if he can clean the lens.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Re: 110mm Super Symma Hazer—Schneider Drops the Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I just had an interesting conversation with Jeff at Badger Graphics. I have a 110mm Super Symmar XL that has developed internal haze. He informed me that Schneider will only honor their lifetime warranty for 5 years when the issue is haze developing—I was needless to say, surprised and disappointed as I bought mine more than 5 years ago. This is why Badger no longer sells the 80 and 110 Super Symmars. I'll give John Van Stelton a call later to see if he can clean the lens.
    Wow. First the Schneideritus - although that is a cosmetic issue - now haze, which is most certailny not a cosmetic issue.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

What causes the haze and it is the same cause/effect as older Leitz lenses and such? I thought it was the cements off-gassing but what else is responsible?

I hope that Focal Point cleans it up OK at least but shame on Schneider for dropping the ball on this.

Jeff said that Schneider has had conflicting reasons for the haze. Their current position seems to be that an adhesive they use reacts with some, but not all air and causes the haze. Since they cannot control the air where the lens is used, they refuse to honor the warranty. Certainly doesn't sound right to me (or Jeff). I never expected Schneider to act like this.

Richard Wasserman

I wonder how many of our LF manufacturers are just hanging on my their toenails? (In this instance, Schneider.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Still Developing

Has anybody else noticed this and does it have any effect on photos?
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Have you had any interesting conversations about this with Schneider themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    Has anybody else noticed this and does it have any effect on photos?
    Haze will certainly have an effect, reduced contrast and as the haze gets worse the sharpness will eventually suffer.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

The plot thickens. I called Schneider in New Jersey and was told that Badger is not an authorized dealer in the US. The rep I spoke to did not know where Badger buys their lenses, whether from the factory or elsewhere, but Schneider US is not involved and therefore can't help me. He did say that they no longer offer a lifetime warranty on lenses—I think because of this problem. He did say that if this problem occurs with a lens with a lifetime warranty, and the owner has the warranty card they will honor it.

I will try to have it cleaned, before pursuing it with the factory. I do not want to be without this lens any longer than absolutely necessary as I am doing a long-term project and it is my most used lens.

Richard Wasserman

Richard,

I would tell Jeff what the Schneider rep said. Perhaps he can contact the Schneider home office. (I've known Jeff for years. He's a very stand-up guy.) If that doesn't work for some reason, you should call the Schneider home office in Germany yourself. All you need is one of their people to agree with you, which they should! I would pursue the factory option before paying to have it cleaned.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know