Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zone VI ( Wista ) vs Deardorff 4x5

Zone VI ( Wista ) vs Deardorff 4x5

Am being offered a Zone VI for 550$, and a Deardroff 5x7 FS for 1100$. If I were to get the Dorff, I would need to get a few lens boards, since the ones I have are Linhof boards which fit the Zone VI.

I really want the Deardorff, been lusting for one since I was a wee little lad. The Zone VI is a stunner, rosewood. And the gold plated knobs are quite sexy.

The widest lens I use is a 90.

If you were in my shoes, which would you choose?
    Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia, Asia.

Re: Zone VI ( Wista ) vs Deardorff 4x5

You want to shoot 57 or 45?

If I were you, I'd buy the Zone VI due to the price and then get the Dorff within a couple of months since I'd still really want one. Of course, I've just institiuted a policy that for every new camera object which arrives in the house I need to sell 3. At that rate, I should be down to a reasonable amount of gear in, say, 2017. I own neither a Dorff nor a Zone VI so don't look for me to be selling one.

Dan

Going with the Zone VI.

Was about to pay then noticed that Im the highest bidder of the Deardorff at 835USD. Hope someone bids on it I dont win the bugger.

Deciding factor was, I would cry less if the Wista were to fall off a cliff ( I mainly shoot waterfalls )
    Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia, Asia.

The Deardorff every time. They got the design/ergonomics/ right so long ago. Love my '38 Deardorff '57 & no Ebony or Canham has displaced it..

Dan,

I have a Zone VI, I would suggest you to get the Deardorff. Too many annoying problems with the Zone VI. Yeah, it looks good, but when things get loose or it's not stable, it just makes it a PIA to use sometimes.

I have never used a Deardorff, but everyone that has owned one loves them.

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by joselsgil View Post
    Dan,

I have a Zone VI, I would suggest you to get the Deardorff. Too many annoying problems with the Zone VI. Yeah, it looks good, but when things get loose or it's not stable, it just makes it a PIA to use sometimes.

I have never used a Deardorff, but everyone that has owned one loves them.

Jose
    Zone VI made by Wita or someone else?

Dan,

I've got the Wista version of the Zone VI. Jose's comment about things working loose is accurate enough, but the three or four times when that has happened on mine, two or three minutes of removing the bellows to access screw heads and then tightening everything has completely cured all problems. Field servicing is a piece of cake. I've used this camera for nearly 20 years of basically trouble free hard work (at times very heavy field work shooting lots of architecture as well as nature far afield).

I know little about the Deardorf except for it's sterling reputation, but if it does not have interchangeable bellows for a bag bellows to allow for extreme movements, that would be another reason to vote for the Zone VI.

If you need to see the basic instructions for all movements that were in the early Zone VI catalog (with illustrations), I've got a copy and would be glad to email you those pages. Just PM me with your email address.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

You can shoot 5x7s with the 'dorff if you're thinking contact prints.
    'Dorffs also wouldn't need bag bellows if the bellows are correct. The smaller pleats at the front standard end are very flexible if you leave the bulk of the larger pleats at the opposite end tucked inside the rear standard (at least thats how my V8 works---like there are two different designed bellows at opposite ends)
    FWIW I really like the sliding lens board on 'dorffs and found it very useful for architecture. I don't know if the Zone VI has that feature or not.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dan,

That Deardorff you're bidding on looks pretty beat up.

Anyway, I would get the cheaper Wista, if it were me. Then look at an 8x10 Deardorff later.