Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapid View Portrait (RVP) Pictorial lens

Re: Rapid View Portrait (RVP) Pictorial lens

Another RVP - for 1/4 plate #10680
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7816RVP 10680.jpg   IMG_7808RVP 10680.jpg   IMG_7813RVP 10680.jpg   IMG_7815RVP 10680.jpg  

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    Another RVP - for 1/4 plate #10680
    Thanks, presumably max aperture is f8?

I think the VM is mistaken about there being a "restart" of serial numbers.

The variation in actual equivalent focal length is not due to Taylors shoddy lens grinding, but the inability of glass suppliers, Chance Bros, to supply glass blocks with a constant refractive index. The same must be the case for other lens makers, who stuck with an average value for their focal length engraving.

Serial numbers for RVs which are part of a real casket set (not the paired lenses in a "gift" casket!) are a little problematic, as the set is only given a single serial number - which is engraved on the common barrel section which includes the iris.

The iris F value is also a problem with the casket iris, which has 3 sets of scales for RR, WAR and RV combinations. The most open iris value engraved for RV is 11.3, but I can see that iris has a couple of mms left to full open and reaching the RR Scale's F8. So a <F11 fr a casket mounted RV!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The variation in actual equivalent focal length is not due to Taylors shoddy lens grinding...
    Phew, thank goodness for that! It was as I suspected. I'll sleep better in my bed tonight.

There is a distinct lack of RV or RVP lenses in the list with serial numbers between 2818 and 9652. I would expect that statistically (although of course I am not a statistician) there would be a fairly equal distribution of 'survivors' - unless of course this shows a gap in production, or a large batch of serial numbers being allocated to a different model of lens.

Interesting thread and fully enjoyable to read.

How are you controlling the shutter speed on these types of lens when using them out in the field in bright conditions.

T,T,& H were producing a lot of RR's at this time and the very popular casket sets.

My casket set is no. 3235.

Quote Originally Posted by peter brooks View Post

I'm still intrigued by the range of Equiv Focal lengths for a given plate size, given the very apparent precision of TTH. I know nothing about lens construction, old glass etc but came across ''The Book of Photography - Practical, Theoretic and Applied' by Paul N. Hasluck (published 1907) which has some pages about lens manufacture at TTH. The book is around 880 pages so I've extracted the relevant sections into a subset - it's also shared from Google Drive as Lenses: Their Construction. No doubt methods and techniques will have been honed but they can't be that far from those used when these lenses were made.
    That is a very good read, and confirms many of the assumptions about early lens manufacturing that have been made on this forum over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Here is a TTH assessory for these you don't see every day. A lens cap. And since the lens is in the rear, the cap goes on the rear, using the patented thread. I've seen one...this one I have, but I'm sure they're out there.

From a 1906 catalogue, found online.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTH_caps_1906.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	186215

(Hmmm... A sliding box camera with a reversible lensboard, with a lovely brass cap to protect the thus stored lens... Hmmm...)

And from the same 1906 catalogue, an RV illustrated alongside RVP specs! In an age when producing original artwork, copy and printing plates must have taken considerably more effort I wonder if this page had already been in use for several years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTH_RV_RVP_1906.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	186216

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    ... How are you controlling the shutter speed on these types of lens when using them out in the field in bright conditions.
    I've been using paper negs recently (or abusing rather - see the Paper Negs thread ) so at iso 6 anything except really bright is okay with the top hat approach, which I must say is deliciously simple and unrushed. Decidedly old school.

I also made a view camera board to Sinar board adapter so I can use a Sinar shutter with unshuttered lenses.

Hi, I was fortunate enough to get one of the Cooke/TTH RVP lenses today, but it doesn't have the mounting flange. I am going to have SK Grimes make me something, but in the mean time, I am dieing to try the lens. Any suggestions/ideas on how to temp mount this so I can expose a few sheets of film? My lens is the 12.37" F8 version that was apparently designed for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. Based on what I can tell, it will cover 8x10 at normal portrait distances and I am guessing it won't really cover 8x10 for landscapes? Any insight on this based on your experience?

Thanks for starting this thread!