Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reason not to buy a Manfrotto 808RC-4 for LF?

walbergb

Any reason not to buy a Manfrotto 808RC-4 for LF?

I have a Shen-Hao PB45 (1.4 kg w/o lens) and in desperate need of a tripod head. My budget is $200. The Manfrotto 808RC-4 seems to fit the bill, and the Manfrotto 410 geared head seems popular. Opinions? Experience? Options? Advice? Thanks in advance

Re: Any reason not to buy a Manfrotto 808RC-4 for LF?

I've used allot of heads in my time as a serious photographer (some 42 years). I have settled on the 410 for all my tripods and all my cameras from DSLR to 4x5. It is rock solid, more compact than a three way head, reasonably light, virtually indestructible (I ran over one and I am still using it today) and reasonably priced.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I've got the Manfrotto 410 as well. I use it with a moderately light wooden field camera and a moderately light Cambo monorail. It is absolutely rock solid with both those cameras. I've even hoisted my significantly heavy Cambo 8x10 monorail on it and while I wouldn't use it outdoors on a windy day, indoors I'd be happy(ish) to use it at a pinch. I find it very quick to setup and use and it makes setting all angles to zero very easy and quick. Highly recommend the 410.

walbergb

I'll take a serious look at the 410 Thanks.

walbergb

Bought the Manfrotto 410 and love it. Compact, quick to set up, solid. Price jumped all over the last few months on B&H website. $180 to $200 to $270 and down to $225. Bought one online from Henry's for $220 Cdn.

There are many heads out there that are capable of supporting 4x5 gear; I looked at the 808RC for a while because it was a little cheaper than some other heads.
    But I've found that having a head rated for a minimum of 12kg (25lbs) is the best route to take.
    You may find yourself getting a lens or two that is heavier than average, and you want something to withstand winds orother adverse conditions; you may even move to a heavier camera one day.

I got myself a 410 head for $190AUD and think its great! Do yourself a favor and grab one off ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by walbergb View Post
    I have a Shen-Hao PB45 (1.4 kg w/o lens) and in desperate need of a tripod head. My budget is $200. The Manfrotto 808RC-4 seems to fit the bill, and the Manfrotto 410 geared head seems popular. Opinions? Experience? Options? Advice? Thanks in advance
    Get a Tiltall for $75 - $100 and spend the other $$ on film and chemicals.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I'm dumping my 410, I'm finding it unreliable. It has started to jump or flex and has become loose in one axis (in an annoying way) requiring a counter wind. I'm picking I've got little chance of repairing it either. Not a lot of fun when this develops a long way from anywhere (desert) and without good reason.

As a part-time solution it seems fine but I'm now wishing I'd spent more as it's such an important piece of kit and needs to remain tight. I actually found a large ball head was faster to use with the fine trimmings coming from within the camera (Arca Swiss). I've had the 410 six years or so—looks new but works second rate. I certainly be very cautious buying second hand unless you want to deal with another photographers problems—typical of so many used ebay sales.

I like 410 ...