Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between Type 54 and Type 55 Polaroid?

Re: What is the difference between Type 54 and Type 55 Polaroid?

After a few minutes on the wayback machine I found this:

T-54 Coaterless Proofing Black & White
    Medium speed and contrast sheet film for black and white prints. Coaterless, wide tonal range, intended for exposures of 1 /10 second or faster, matches speed of ISO 100 chrome films.

Key Applications:
    Professional photography proofing (strobe or short exposures only)
    Test shots of less than 1 /10 second or with a strobe

Compatible Hardware:
    Any instrument or camera equipped with a Model 545 / 545I film holder
    MP-4+ camera

Special Treatment:
    Processing the film for longer than 3 minutes may damage the print surface.
    At temperatures above 75°F (24°C), film should not be processed for longer than one (1) minute for optimum image stability.
    Processing affects contrast and density to some extent. A picture processed for too short a time will have dull grays, mottle and little contrast. If maximum density is required, the processing time may be extended by 15 seconds (for example, process for 45 seconds rather than 30 seconds). This may increase the contrast and density, but may also result in some loss of gray.

Processing Information:
    Film Speed - 100 ISO/ 21 DIN
    Format - 4 x 5 in. (10.16 x 12.7 cm) Sheet Film
    Image Area - 3 1/2 x 4 5/8 in. (9 x 11.7 cm)
    Finish - Glossy
    Exposures per Unit - 20 exposures per box
    Development Time - 30 seconds
    Full Warranty
    And this:

T-55 Pos./Neg. Black & White
    Extremely high-resolution positive/negative film for finely detailed black and white prints (and negatives). Medium speed and contrast, produces instant prints and negatives.

Key Applications:
    Proofing
    Scientific imaging
    Advertising and magazine photography
    SEM or microscope imaging
    Copystand photography
    Fine-art photography
    Any application requiring a negative for additional prints

Compatible Hardware:
    Any instrument or camera equipped with a Model 545 / 545I film holder
    MP-4+ camera
    4 x 5 view cameras with a 545i film holder
    FreezeFrame Plus (with optional 4 x 5 film holder)

Special Treatment:
    Requires print coating, negative requires clearing/washing
    To re-use the negative, it must be immersed in a sodium sulfite clearing bath immediately after development. Sodium sulfite powder is readily available from professional photographic supply dealers and chemical supply houses.

Processing Information:
    Film Speed - 50 ISO/ 18 DIN
    Format - 4 x 5 in. (10.16 x 12.7 cm) Sheet Film
    Image Area - 3 1/2 x 4 5/8 in. (9 x 11.7 cm)
    Finish - Glossy
    Exposures per Unit - 20 exposures per box
    Development Time - 25 seconds at 70°F
    Full Warranty
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

This link lists PDF files of the original spec sheets of many Polaroid films and some other instruction and maintenance documents.

https://125px.com/docs/film/polaroid/

I have found that most of the sheets I have come across recently either the chemicals have dried completely or don't spread well. I do expose such sheets then develop the negative in regular chemicals, even a paper one like Type 54, and you get a scannable image with a particular effect.

I made this image years ago, perhaps 20 years. I did not coat the print (Type55) and I put it on my office door for many years to see how it faded. It bronzed nicely. It has been in a box for the last 6 years.

Self-portrait with studio strobes (Normans) -- Dark room, no lights on, lens of the 4x5 left open, and the flash unit set off by having it connected to the 8x10 camera and fired with its cable release in my hand. Previous efforts taped to the 8x10. I could have used a cable release on the 4x5, but I wanted to look like I was using the 8x10 for some reason or another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fade.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    If Google didn't answer your question try looking up www.polaroid.com on the wayback machine. You can find the full specs there.
    And try to grow a sense of humor. I find life is much less stressful with a well developed sense of humor.
    Thanks Mark, the polaroid.com on waypack machine is a good tip. I usually lookup only individual pages but browsing the whole site might be a good idea.

I understand what you mean but for me the situation feels rather bitter. I usually just ignore such situations and keep my cool but for some reason I lost it here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I understand. Finding old Polaroid information has become very challenging!

Some of the old B&W prints were not stable and oxidized after development. A tube with a fluid-soaked swab was provided so after development the print was coated with a plastic-like coating.
    Hi Brian, sorry for blurting out like this. I know that lmgtfy was general trend at that time. Did not play out in the long term though. My emotional note was meant rather for the future generation as a warning.

I have one of such tubes (probably useless memorabilia by now). Will it be meaningful for Type 55 or only for non coated types?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I made this image years ago, perhaps 20 years. I did not coat the print (Type55) and I put it on my office door for many years to see how it faded. It bronzed nicely. It has been in a box for the last 6 years.

Self-portrait with studio strobes (Normans) -- Dark room, no lights on, lens of the 4x5 left open, and the flash unit set off by having it connected to the 8x10 camera and fired with its cable release in my hand. Previous efforts taped to the 8x10. I could have used a cable release on the 4x5, but I wanted to look like I was using the 8x10 for some reason or another.
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    After a few minutes on the wayback machine I found this:

And this:
    What I gather from this is that the Type 54 was meant to be a throw away stuff.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    Hi Brian, sorry for blurting out like this. I know that lmgtfy was general trend at that time. Did not play out in the long term though. My emotional note was meant rather for the future generation as a warning.

I have one of such tubes (probably useless memorabilia by now). Will it be meaningful for Type 55 or only for non coated types?
    No problem.

I never shot much T-55 but think I remember having to coat the positive. The negative was processed in Sodium Sulfate, washed and dried... but no other treatment required. But my memory could be faulty.

If you have one it’s a museum piece. Probably dried up. Besides... there might not be any usable Polaroid film available anymore.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    What I gather from this is that the Type 54 was meant to be a throw away stuff.
    Most folks probably used it for proofing. I know I’m not alone in using Polaroid as a final product. Oh how I miss it...

55-54=1
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.