Thread: Where to find 8x10 multi-contrast filters?

Where to find 8x10 multi-contrast filters?

So, I need some of these large filters. Not necessarily a whole set but, Ilford #1, #2, #3 and #4 equivalent.

Where do you girls guy your filters??

Thanx in advance for your help

Joe

Re: Where to find 8x10 multi-contrast filters?

Try B&H or Freestyle

Used ones are available.

There are threads about using Rosco filters in various cc's of magenta and yellow. Those are the least expensive I think.

The hard part in practice is what o do with he filters once you get them as often there is no filterholder/tray. The lenses for 8x10 are too large for standard below the lens filters and the light sources do not have filter drawers.

I have an Aristo VCL 8100 which makes it a bit easier but the true contrast range seems limited.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Used ones are available.

There are threads about using Rosco filters in various cc's of magenta and yellow. Those are the least expensive I think.

The hard part in practice is what o do with he filters once you get them as often there is no filterholder/tray. The lenses for 8x10 are too large for standard below the lens filters and the light sources do not have filter drawers.

I have an Aristo VCL 8100 which makes it a bit easier but the true contrast range seems limited.
    I had the Aristo VCL 4500, not the 8100. But FWIW, the late Phil Davis tested the contrast range with my 4500 while I was taking one of his workshops. The range was actually greater than could be obtained with filters though I don't recall the exact numbers. I would have expected the same from the 8100 since it's the same technology only bigger.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

B&H sells 12"x12" Ilford Filters. You can also use the 6" filters under a typical 300mm lens. This picture shows an un-cut 6" filter under a 300mm lens.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...0&d=1231367991

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I had the Aristo VCL 4500, not the 8100. But FWIW, the late Phil Davis tested the contrast range with my 4500 while I was taking one of his workshops. The range was actually greater than could be obtained with filters though I don't recall the exact numbers. I would have expected the same from the 8100 since it's the same technology only bigger.
    I know, but mine does not work that way. Seems to function properly but I need to develop my 8x10 film to a much higher contrast than my 4x5 film to printthe same. For 4x5 I use a Beseler Dichro 45S but I used to have the VCL4500 too. Don't know why it is so.

Roscoe
    Cheap but hard to get a frame around them- not really a problem
    I use them in my 8x10 Besler above the diffusion sheet or on top of the glass carrier- just like a drawer
    Per the old threads:
    You won't get the semblance of time similarity that addition of red gives in "real" filters.
    But I need all the light I can get thru everything at big enlargements so that' a minor point.
    Besides the so-called constant exposure works only in the mid tones anyway.
    Save your money for film

Wouldn't a Cokin system work, if your lens has filter threads. Just screw on the lens adapter, slide on the filter holder, and insert the filters. Cokin has a series each of magenta and yellow from 05 CC to 50 CC. It might be useful to slide in a graduated ND for some negatives. The holder will take three filters.
    al