Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: best low-cost field 4x5 for LF newbie?

Les

Re: best low-cost field 4x5 for LF newbie?

Just saw Nagaoka 4x5 Field rig (on CL in Vancouver, BC) and it might be down your alley. The seller claims that it weighs only around 2lbs...for less than $500. I may be a noob here, but I'd pretty much echo what's been said here....no matter what you buy, and besides showing up, it's the technique that matters the most. Once you get everything tested, understand which film/s you prefer and all the tech stuff out of the way....making nice images is not v. hard....and I'm assuming you lassoed the composition. Hope you find the right camera.

Les

Are Chamonix's made in China?

Those $900 cameras on eBay are new.

Seems like a well built camera from the pictures. I was going to recommend the Toyo, but...

Kevwil - I just sent you a PM with a nice, complete Shen Hao kit you might be interested in. I might list here in the classifieds soon if this isn't for you.

I'll give you dibs 'cause I was right where you are and wold have appreciated something like this when I was starting out.

Cheers and good luck in your LF pursuits!

Cletus

Id suggest buying a second hand Wista SP from japan. I picked mine up for $740 USD. New retail price is 2.5G I think. Mine is in great condition, and has all movements I need for the kind of landscape work I do. The metal body is strong and gives me the stability Im looking for as well. Holds a 135mm lens inside the folded unit as well I think.

For what you want forget monorails. I can't believe some here are suggesting a monorail to someone who says they're looking for light weight field camera. The two cameras you mention are excellent choices, I've owned both. As between the two I'd probably go for the Chamonix. It's a little lighter (1-2 pounds) and has a longer bellows (about 15" vs 12"). But either would do fine. Other choices would be a Tachihara (light, fewer movements than either the Chamonix or the Shen but all you need for general purpose outdoor photography). I've owned two and they were excellent cameras. They're also a little simpler to set up and operate than the Chamonix or Shen (more movements generally = more complexity and vice versa). There are others (Wista - overpriced IMHO, Nagaoka, Zone VI or Wisner if you buy used, et al) but those are the three brands of 4x5 field cameras I've owned and so have experience with. I'd recommend any of the three for your purposes.

I've also owned and liked Linhof Technikas (IV and later) but you'd have to buy used to keep the cost manageable. Someone else mentioned a Toyo A. I've never owned one but I've played around with one and it too seemed like a very nice camera.

Sorry but I have to stop now, I'm off to see my psychiatrist to cure this psychological block Frank tells me I have : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Oh what a set-up for a great joke... But I will be nice for once.

But after he clarified he wanted a light camera, I suggested a Chamonix. I still think an inexpensive monorail is a great first camera even if you "evolve" into a field camera.

The Anba Ikeda is a fine little camera for a compact featherweight kit. When a few extra lenses are added, its advantage in weight becomes unimportant. My ready-to-go kit with three lenses, several film holders, and other accessories in a hard case weighs 13 lbs. It is also the most beautiful camera I've ever owned. If only my photos looked as good . . .

Click on the LF Home Page on the blue banner above---follow the links to 4x5 View Cameras and read the reviews
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

This seems closely related to the OP's question, so I'll pose it: I've been considering a Shen Hao XPO. I definitely do not want to carry a monorail into the field, but I want something quick and easy to set up (well, relatively quick and easy). It's not as portable as a folding camera, but it looks manageable. Anyone here use an XPO? Any reson why I should go with something more compact for carrying about?

Quote Originally Posted by kevwil View Post
    A Linhof Technikardan 45s is well north of $6K but the Chamonix is $900. How am I throwing my money away chasing overpriced nameplates? Your point is well taken, but your tone is not. Show me a better deal, don't insult me.
    Just put Leigh on your ignore list...we'll all be happier.