Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak announces plans to sell consumer film division

Drew Wiley

Re: Kodak announces plans to sell consumer film division

Plenty of chatter over on APUG. Apparently things like XRay film would be classified as commercial, but not still film in our sense of usage. In an ideal scenario, nothing would
    outwardly change. Someone else would own the infrastructure and be responsible for the
    finances, but the gold boxes would still look the same. Just like when Champion bought out
    Kodak chemicals. I certainly hope so, since in color film at least, Kodak has reached the
    pinnacle of quality; and digital hasn't realistically arrived at the point of being a practical or
    qualitative replacement for typical large format film applications. But maybe this is just
    another of their fishing expeditions using a profitable division as the lure. Might be a bargain for someone, hopefully someone who belives in film for its own sake and is willing
    to sustain the quality, and who doesn't have to raise pricing even further to the roof in
    order to pay back the investment.

Maybe some Saudi royal will buy it as a vanity business

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Maybe some Saudi royal will buy it as a vanity business
    It'll likely be cheaper than thoroughbreds, lol!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I don't know if I trust those racehorse-breeders, John. I know one (a local billionaire) who
    built a six million dollar barn, spent several million more on the horses (22 of them), then
    told the poor stiff who had to clean and repair the stalls that he couldn't afford to pay him! Typical. Guess if he goes to bed at night and finds a horse head in it, ala Godfather-style, he might recant. But usually, he does pay at least partially a few months later.
    If he bought Kodak, you'd probably open a film box to find it empty, along with a little note
    demanding your request be rephrased by a certified accountant.

All - my name is Colleen Krenzer and I work with Kodak's Film PR team (I'm on the agency side). I'm hoping that at a minimum I can help answer any questions that you have about the announcement (and I apologize for not commenting sooner).

Regarding the businesses included in the sale: All the still films, both consumer and professional, fall under the Personalize Imaging business and are part of the proposed sale. Commercial films include the films used in aerial, industrial and printed circuit boards and are not part of the sale, nor is the motion picture business.

I'll say what I've said on another forum. The key points:

1. Kodak will continue to manufacture all its products during this time.
    2. As Kodak moves forward with the potential transition of these businesses to new ownership, the intention of the company is to find a buyer who will continue to make the same products and services currently produced.
    3. As it has done with previous businesses that it has sold (e.g. Carestream) Kodak will ensure that the potential buyers shares its commitment to serving customers.

I'll try to answer other questions that you have, if I can.

Thanks, Colleen!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Hi Colleen -- welcome to the forum. As you might imagine, many of us participate on the various forums but it is good that so are you!

I wonder how much one could get the retail film division for.

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    I wonder how much one could get the retail film division for.

Hmmm.
    Stealing an idea from APUG - let's start a Kickstarter project to buy it!

Silly of course, but this is somewhat hopeful news I think, at the very least. If they keep making TMY-2, Tri-X, Portra 400 and Ektar I will be happy. If they brought back E6 I'd be very happy. Add Plus-X and Kodachrome and the process support for the latter and I'd be ecstatic.

My odds of being happy are much better than of being very happy and I have more chance of winning the lottery (if I ever buy another damned ticket) than of being ecstatic in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by CKrenzer View Post
    All - my name is Colleen Krenzer and I work with Kodak's Film PR team (I'm on the agency side). I'm hoping that at a minimum I can help answer any questions that you have about the announcement (and I apologize for not commenting sooner).

Regarding the businesses included in the sale: All the still films, both consumer and professional, fall under the Personalize Imaging business and are part of the proposed sale. Commercial films include the films used in aerial, industrial and printed circuit boards and are not part of the sale, nor is the motion picture business.

I'll say what I've said on another forum. The key points:

1. Kodak will continue to manufacture all its products during this time.
    2. As Kodak moves forward with the potential transition of these businesses to new ownership, the intention of the company is to find a buyer who will continue to make the same products and services currently produced.
    3. As it has done with previous businesses that it has sold (e.g. Carestream) Kodak will ensure that the potential buyers shares its commitment to serving customers.

I'll try to answer other questions that you have, if I can.
    Hello Colleen.
    What division will the x-ray film production be in?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White