Thread: The Lenses for D5 Lamphouse

Andrew "The RedSun"

The Lenses for D5 Lamphouse

This is an Omega D5 (regular) and it comes with 4 big lenses. I do not know which is which. Do I really need all 4? They look like they are the lower section, with silver aluminum casing. One lens has a smaller glass.

Maybe I'll take a look of the D5 XL to see which glass it has. Just wonder what the other glassses are for.

Re: The Lenses for D5 Lamphouse

Our condenser heads for the D5XL uses three condenser lenses, Two loose ones that fit into the silver aluminum housing (with a metal accordian-like spacer) and the single mounted condenser lens that fits in the drawer right below the bulb (movable, depending on the enlarger lens focal length).

All three are the same size.

In a regular (non-VC) set-up:

• A pair of 6.5” lenses would be for 4x5
    • A pair of 4 11/16” lenses would be for MF
    • A pair of 3.5” lenses would be for 35mm

If you have 4 lenses, you might have two of the pairs above [?]...

In a VC (variable condenser) set-up, you would use two 6.5” lenses w/ a third VC lens. This third lens is in a metal lens plate, which slides into the enlarger’s VC box. The VC lens happens to be the 4 11/16” size.

Andrew "The RedSun"

3 of the 4 sets of lenses are the same. They are just like the VC main lens with two big pieces of glass, one convex and one flat. I do not know why I get 3 sets.
    The last set has about 4 1/4 diameter at top (inside) and 3 1/4 diameter at the bottom (facing the negative). So this may be for the 35mm?

Do DV head is more complex than the VC head?

Your descriptions aren’t exactly clear about what you have.

Can you post a photo of your lenses?

Meantime, the left photo is a non-VC set up. It requires two lenses in the silver housing. These two lenses might be any of the three pairs listed above. There is no third VC lens.

The right photo is a VC set up, showing the different head. In this case, two 6.5” lenses would go into the silver housing, and the third VC lens (in a lens plate, w/ convex side of VC lens facing down) slides inside the square black box. There are three levels inside the box, depending on the focal length of your enlarger lens. You can use this convenient, three-lens VC set up for all three formats.

In both cases, the two condenser lenses, in the silver housing, have their convex sides facing each other in the middle. The corrugated spacer keeps these two convex sides from touching. This means the flat side of the bottom lens faces down, and the flat side of the top lens faces up. (In other words, there is a flat surface at the very bottom of the housing, and at the very top of the housing.)

Hope this helps...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omega D2.jpg   Omega D2v head.jpg  
    Last edited by Heroique; 24-Aug-2012 at 00:05.

Andrew "The RedSun"

I have the VC head. I already mounted the main lens and the middle small lens. Here are what is left. I do not know why I got so many of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	79321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	79322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	79323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	79324

You are a condenser-rich person! ;^)

Since you have the VC head, all you need are the two 6.5” lenses (in the appropriate silver housing made for them) + the VC lens. The appropriate housing would be fully open on each end, not shelved like in the second photo. (However, there would be a slight lip at the bottom on which the bottom lens rests.)

That will cover all formats.

I imagine someone once owned the other lenses because they had a regular (non-VC) head, then got a VC head. With a VC head, 3 lenses do the work of 6!