Thread: ICG Scan Xact Software

ICG Scan Xact Software

Hi.

First time post as I am a new member.

I have recently invested in an ICG 355i Drum Scanner. It was very reasonably priced and feel I have an absolute bargain.

The machine came with the 7.2 ScanXact software, this is from 1996 I think, I even had to install it from a Floppy disk, that is how ancient it is.

ICG do an up to date version 10 I think, this is very expensive, and if I was to buy the software it would cost nearly double what I paid for the scanner.

What I would like to know, is there anyone out there using this latest software, if so what are your thoughts, is it worth the £1500?

Or is there someone out there that has a copy for sale.

Thanks for reading,
    Rob

retrogrouchy

Re: ICG Scan Xact Software

I'd email Ed Hamrick if I were you. He might be interested in porting VueScan to it for some portion of 1500 pounds and that would get you long-term portable software support.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I'd email Ed Hamrick if I were you. He might be interested in porting VueScan to it for some portion of 1500 pounds and that would get you long-term portable software support.
    Thanks for your reply polyglot.

From the research I have done, Vue Scan and Silver Fast are not compatible to ICG scanners. Unless there is anyway that you know of bypassing this?

Rob

retrogrouchy

That's correct, they're not compatible at the moment. However I'm suggesting that Ed Hamrick, the author of VueScan, might be interested in making them compatible if you wave enough cash at him.

Hi Rob,

I'm running ScanXact 16 on a dedicated OS 9.2.2 G4 Mac. ScanXact 16 is the only ICG software I'm familiar with. 16 is the update where they added the option to output 16 bit files. It works only on the newer scanners that already have the 16 bit hardware. But I think older ICG scanners can be upgraded for 16 bit capability. As far as I know the latest version is ScanXact OSX which has the same interface and functions as 16 but works on non-Intel OSX Macs.

If your ScanXact 7.2 does what you want and you like the results I'd stick with it. But if you're having trouble to get the results you like or feel limited, and you think it might be the software then I could let you know if ScanXact 16 would be any different in that regard. When you asked ICG about the update did they tell you what has been improved in ScanXact 10 over 7.2?

-Dominique

Hi Dominique,

Do you happen to still have the software for ScanXact 16? I recently bought an ICG 380 with this software and i’m missing the security dongle. Do you by any chance have one?

- Carson