Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Gitzo Series 5 tripods?

Alternatives to Gitzo Series 5 tripods?

Anything that matches the features, stability/rigidity and durability?

Re: Alternatives to Gitzo Series 5 tripods?

There's the Really Right Stuff tripods, about which I hear very nice things. Induro's tripods are nice, too, but I'm not sure the capacity of their biggest model.

What about the Gitzo tripods is *not* to your liking?

What do you need that a used 1325 doesn't offer?

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    What about the Gitzo tripods is *not* to your liking?
    Just wondering if there is anything out there with a cheaper price tag...

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    What do you need that a used 1325 doesn't offer?
    More capacity and rigidity...?

The Induro CT414 is a carbon fiber tripod rated to 55 pounds. B&H lists it at $665. Their biggest alloy tripod, the AT413 is rated to 44 lbs and currently goes for $217 at B&H.

What are you putting on the tripod? Do you want carbon fiber or is alloy OK? Do you need a geared column? What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    What are you putting on the tripod? Do you want carbon fiber or is alloy OK? Do you need a geared column? What's your budget?
    I will use a 4x5 monorail with a provisio for future movement to 8x10. I plan to couple it with the arca cube..

Budget wise I would like to keep it as low as possible but the gitzo gt5542ls looks tempting...

Feisol makes a really nice tripod. I have a Gitzo Series 3, but it was a VERY close call between that and the similar Feisol. Thom Hogan's tripod article is what finally tipped me toward the Gitzo, but that probably doesn't mean much in reality. They appear to made specifically to compete in the Gitzo market if you take a good look at their features. Cost about 30-40% less for a pretty dang good quality carbon fiber tripod.

Feisol accessories and ballheads are nice too, and very reasonably priced. I had one of their Ballheads and never had a problem, but I still like my RRS BH-55 better! Albeit at almost 3x the price. I really like my Gitzo, but I often wonder whether I should have just got the Feisol and been just as happy.

BTW - Feisol's rated capacity on their largest tripod - according to their website - is something like 25lbs, but I personally saw a display where they stuck a little seat on top of the "big one" and had a girl sitting on top. At full extension. (Without a center column, though). It was quite an impressive display!

If I ever had to buy another tripod it would definitely be a Feisol. Induro's seem nice too and their specs are good, just haven't had a good close look at one before.

But then again, if you're springing for "The Cube" I can't imagine price is your biggest consideration...

I've had several Gitzos and currently have a RRS tripod that is superior (and costs more). But I think the latest Gitzos are their best ever, nobody makes anything close to the 5-series - I saw the big Induro at B&W last year and it was decent but nowheres near as nice. Like a Chevy compared to an Audi. It will certainly get the job done but without the refinements of the Gitzo.

I also have a cheap Chinese CF monopod that is 98% the quality of the Gitzo, right down to the printing on the warranty card and branding materials. It is a near clone, with zero originality but amazing build quality given the low price, less than half of the comparable Gitzo. The only thing is that I feel shitty owning it because it is an outright copy of another company's design and engineering - and even their branding! It's wrong and I feel bad that I let my momentary greed sway me, because on a global scale this is going to wreck our economy and reward unethical businesses.

You get what you pay for.

Personally I would invest more into the legs than the head but if the Cube is important good luck!

Well, since we are at it, I would prefer the cube costed half price. I don't know why they charge 1700 for it. Photo clam seems a good cheaper alternative but its still 1200... The manfrotto geared heads seem chunky and awkward in comparison. Are there any suggestions for a nice geared head that costs less?