Thread: Very late hello from Denmark

Beginner

Very late hello from Denmark

This is a very late hello, but somehow I felt compelled to do a brief intro at this moment.

My name is Peter Bryld, I just turned 19 and I finished what is almost equivalent to high school this summer.
    I play the piano at an intermediate level and am starting at a music school next week in order to have something to do while I take a year off prior to the university.
    I play the classical stuff, and my favourite composer is Franz Liszt, who's pieces I'm just beginning to be able to play. I hope I'll please my soon-to-be teachers by having learned Transcendental Etude no. 3 over the summer, because the piece I auditioned for the school with was just Mozart's fantasie in D-minor...

Only now am I starting to take LF pictures, as I have been gathering stuff for quite a while. It's expensive getting into this stuff! And you need a lot of things as well.
    I can't wait to really get shooting and dedicate myself to the old techniques. I'm not one of those who detest digital cameras though, I love them for snap shots.
    I'll be shooting 8x10 as I can't afford a big enlarger for 4x5s, not to mention I would rather wait, pay more and then eventually get an 8x10 enlarger! One can dream...

What interests me is landscapes and history (which I feel go hand in hand). I'm also very inspired by the old baroque painters, both the still lives and religious paintings, which I hope to do some work related to at some point.

This forum is a truly great resource and I'm so glad to be here!
    Rød grød med fløde.

Re: Very late hello from Denmark

"I can't afford a big enlarger for 4x5s, not to mention I would rather wait, pay more and then eventually get an 8x10 enlarger!"

Peter, these are things that you should pay very little for! If you wait too long, they will have thrown away.
    They are completely obsolete in the Commercial world and we are doing them a favour by taking them off their hands.
    You realise how large they are!

Beginner

If there's one thing I'll happily sacrifice for a big enlarger, it's space! Money though...
    (PS: in my 16m2 room I have a 2m long grand piano, a bed, a large closet and a big desk - you learn to live with it!)

I contacted Glennview about an enlarger (they seem to be the only people who have them), but the shipping would be around $3000 on top of the enlarger itself (which is another 3K). I have literally spent all my money all this photo stuff, so that is totally out of reach.
    I've been keeping my eye out for something within Europe, but neither 4x5 nor 8x10 enlargers seem to pop op on Ebay. There are two 4x5 on Den Blå Avis, but they are overpriced in my opinion.

I could probably have a cold light head made and then use a camera as the enlarger itself, but that is a matter for future me. Right now contact prints will *have* to do.
    Rød grød med fløde.

Hi Peter. I really think you should pay me a visit!!!

And enlargers are easy to find! (I have a good contact!!)

Hello Peter,

I love classical music. Mozart is my favorite but I also love Liszt.

There is nothing wrong at all with digital photography. I shoot it too, along with most of the members of the forum. I also shoot an 8x10 having shot 4x5 for a little while before. I shot 35mm and medium format film for years. I'm quite new to the 8x10 though.

As far as large format photography goes the best advice that I can give you is to take Emil (gandolfi) up on his offer. I absolutely love his work. He is a true artist!

Welcome to the forum!

Alan

Welcome to the forum!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Hello Peter,

There is nothing wrong at all with digital photography. I shoot it too, along with most of the members of the forum.

Welcome to the forum!

Alan
    thank you for your kind words, but I have one question: what is this digital so mant seems to talk about?