Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to purchase large paper to print on

Where to purchase large paper to print on

Hi there, I am looking to get started with lf photography. One of the reasons that I want to make the move to lf is to be able to print high resolution large prints (somewhere around 40"x50", maybe larger). I already have an area in my house designated for a darkroom, and will have the room to print at this size assuming one thing...I can find the right paper. What kind of paper do other people use to print around these sizes? Am I mistaken, would I have to have it printed for me for this size?

Sorry for the newbie question and thanks in advance,
    Evan

Re: Where to purchase large paper to print on

To do this size at home a few questions. Color Assuming you have a color print processor and are printing from negatives yes you can order rolls of film in 40 inch widths. Printing from Chromes it used to be you could order Cibachrome in larger size prints however I do not know if this is being sold any more. For Black and White you need to contact someone like Ilford and see if you can order the size you want. Be prepared for long long long lead times. An alternative is to create your own paper by mixing your own chemicals. The alternative is to scan the negative do post in Photoshop or equivalent and have it printed by a good lab.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I primarily plan to shoot b &w so I'll shoot Ilford an email. Also, I hadn't really considered the making my own paper, so I will definitely look into that.

With your screen name I will assume you are in the USA. Freestyle sells rolls of B&W paper -- around 40" wide and 30' to 100' long.

Finding the paper will be the easy part.

Get set up to make some 16x20's first. B&h or freestyle has everything you need.

If I was going to make prints that large in a home darkroom I think the first thing I'd do is make sure I had an assistant to help me move the wet paper around without wrinkling it. Then I'd look into rolls as Vaughn suggests. I think it's unlikely that Ilford would make a special run of paper cut to that size just for you even if they have the equipment to do it. And if they do the cost would probably be staggering.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    If I was going to make prints that large in a home darkroom I think the first thing I'd do is make sure I had an assistant to help me move the wet paper around without wrinkling it. Then I'd look into rolls as Vaughn suggests. I think it's unlikely that Ilford would make a special run of paper cut to that size just for you even if they have the equipment to do it. And if they do the cost would probably be staggering.
    Before you make statements like that.......

Like I said, b&h has everything needed:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...42&srtclk=sort

Bob carnie, clyde butcher, and others make large prints. Not sure why others couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post

Like I said, b&h has everything needed:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...42&srtclk=sort

Bob carnie, clyde butcher, and others make large prints. Not sure why others couldn't.
    +1, I have never had an issue getting mural paper in a week or two, B&H's lead times are pretty much spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post

I don't know what you mean by "before you make statements like that." Like what? All I said was that he should have an assistant to help him move the wet paper around - which I think he should - and he should use roll paper rather than trying to special order cut sheets from Ilford. The paper in the B&H catalog link you provided is roll paper, which of course I know is readily available, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested he use it. So I don't know what new information you think you're giving me with the link.

I know that Clyde Butcher makes large prints. I visited his darkroom in Florida some years ago. I still remember the tall vats of chemicals and the ladders used by the assistants (plural) to access them. It wasn't a set-up that would be feasible for most home darkrooms but then it isn't the only possible set-up either. If the OP wants to give it a try I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) try to discourage him.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Buy, from the usual suspects. 40 inch paper seems the wides now; used to have (dupont) much wider for BW.

use "roll trays" instead of flat trays. The souping technique is ancient. Troughs filled with chemicals; exposed paper rolled-up.
    Insert paper; roll out some into "other" roll -- repeat. This technique was used to make life sized prints for auto-shows. It worked with color too... just more trays, a little wider.

It replaced the lay out paper, use sponges and mops, technique.