Thread: Next gen printing?

Next gen printing?

Perhaps coming to a printer near you next decade:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/on...ned-glass.html

Re: Next gen printing?

I don't think there's any question that digital printing has, or will surpass any chemical method. There are current nano-scale 3D printers that use graphene for the blackest possible blacks, and relief printing more intricate than anything previously accomplished. Amazing technology.

I'm sure super-techno prints from Adobe Illustrator files will "surpass" an oil painting too...but they are not an oil painting my friends. There are computer prints, and then there is everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I'm sure super-techno prints from Adobe Illustrator files will "surpass" an oil painting too...but they are not an oil painting my friends. There are computer prints, and then there is everything else...

You've made a categorical error. An oil painting does not belong to the same class of imaging as a mechanical print, to which both digital and darkroom prints belong. Yes, darkroom printing is a mechanical printing process, not a rendering by the hand of an artist, however much you'd like to equate the two. So, it makes sense to compare digital printing to darkroom printing, but not to oil painting. Kind of obvious when you think about it.

Who the hell will "print" anyway?

Say Retina type displays will become common and enormous.... Call it 300+ dpi and 100 in width 16:9 form factor, that is 30,000x17,000 pixels or 510 MByte.
    No problem, that's a good 8x10 scan, so the content is there already.

Say those displays hang over the sofa in the den, or covers the walls of a gallery. Why print when you can deliver your high res photo on a USB to end user or retail gallery or download it in a few minutes?

What will happen to printing? Utility corporate printing is already down, with the arrival of iPad etc. With a lot in just a few years.

What will happen to high res photo printing and delivery????

The image will be on USB key or it will be a tangible, touchable, single image "print", one off, generated in camera and nowhere else.

OR???

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

And someday it will be so retro that future hipster kids will use it to rebel against the technology of their day...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Usb won't exist by then. Kinda like a scsi thumb drive.

Disagree, the more digital everything numbs out the tactility of the human input with the filter of a computer it self, the more everything that is not a computer or computer made falls into closer contact with it's neighboring art forms. This has been handily discussed in recent big time think tanks about social and art trends.

I make my prints by hand, have a pair of thin black gloves next to my enlarger for the reason of dodging and burning. Oil paints come in a tube which is then released in an act of hydro-mechnanics. A brush holds the oil paint in place until mechanical force is applied to the canvas to distribute that paint with said pressure and direction. But an oil painting is considered hand made, the art of imperfection
    making each original unique. The same thing applies to a darkroom print.

I do print some of my color work using computer output, not because I want to, but because it is not as practical as black and white is so the price is adjusted accordingly, it is a fair bit cheaper than a real hand made photographic print.

So once again, there is the computer and the products that come from it..and then there is everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    You've made a categorical error. An oil painting does not belong to the same class of imaging as a mechanical print, to which both digital and darkroom prints belong. Yes, darkroom printing is a mechanical printing process, not a rendering by the hand of an artist, however much you'd like to equate the two. So, it makes sense to compare digital printing to darkroom printing, but not to oil painting. Kind of obvious when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    Who the hell will "print" anyway?
    Artists who sell art to a growing market of people who are already sick and tired of the hype of the digital age attempting to brainwash people into thinking that it is the second coming and that everything else is inferior...

...that's who...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Let's see, a new lithography process yields 100,000 DPI, could lead to high-density storage and display, and on this forum it gets compared to oil paint and how nice it is to make prints in a darkroom.

The test image is, what, 50nm across? And it's a real 100,000 DPI, not an Epson marketing number. I have never heard of "plasmon resonances" before this.

Comments Dr. Yang, "But instead of sequentially colouring each area with a different ink, an ultrathin and uniform metal film was deposited across the entire image causing the 'encoded' colours to appear all at once, almost like magic!"
    Now that does sound like a print in the developer tray, doesn't it?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans