Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No-agitation developing?

No-agitation developing?

I've just tried developing two sheets of film at once in my trays as up until now I've been processing a sheet at a time. Unfortunately one sheet resulted in a couple of big scratches so my agitation technique needs some work. I'm curious as to whether no-agitation developing (stand developing?) is an option to avoid scratches or just as an option for developing in general. Does anyone do this? Are there any pros/cons of developing like this? I assume that the sheets would need to stay in the tray longer.

Cheers,

Welly

Update. It wasn't a scratch, it was simply a dark cable I don't remember seeing when I took the shot.

Re: No-agitation developing?

That's good news! Stand development creates more problems than it solves. The trick is to identify the optimum agitation frequency for your requirements. For most people, the range of acceptable frequencies is quite large.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Stand development creates more problems than it solves.
    Much to broad a statement, especially to those not aware of Reduced Agitation Development schemes

2 cents

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

I do stand developing but initial agitation is critical I believe. Uneven development results if agitation isn't quick and quite vigorous. After 1 minute I let it set for 30min to an hour with no agitation. With absolutely no agitation I do not think you would get consistent even development especially in areas of smooth tonality. With less agitation development is extended. I use daylight tanks or tubes for stand as I got uneven development in trays, stand or normal. With stand, highlights are retained incredibly well for me.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Much to broad a statement, especially to those not aware of Reduced Agitation Development schemes

2 cents
    It is a tool that can be used with considerable effectiveness when properly understood and executed. Steve has been the primary innovators of this technique and has shared considerably of his experiences if you do some searching online.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    It is a tool that can be used with considerable effectiveness when properly understood and executed. Steve has been the primary innovators of this technique and has shared considerably of his experiences if you do some searching online.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Samson View Post
    +1
    +2
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Steve and Michael,

I am well aware of the role of agitation frequency and amplitude in film development, and would remind you both that stand development is defined as no agitation (as correctly stated by the OP), not infrequent agitation, and I stand by my comments. With all due respect to Steve, I wouldn't call him a "primary innovator" regarding the effects of agitation frequency. Advocate for low frequency agitation-- sure -- but his comment here suggests some confusion about the distinction between stand development and low frequency agitation.

Stand development has not generally been defined as "no agitation."

Definition of stand development in Anchell and Troop, The Film Developing Cookbook, p. 37. "Stand development is a technique which relies upon highly dilute developers and extremely long development times. This means film development times of thirty minutes to several hours with no agitation after the initial minute."

The definition in the FDC agrees with most of the historical literature on the subject.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon