Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Get a View Camera?

Andrew "The RedSun"

Time to Get a View Camera?

Why do I need it: Just for hobby, landscape, portrait, what else?
    Format to consider: 4x5, like Sinar

I still can't decide if I should get a view camera. It is not necessary, since I have a lot of MF equipment (Bronica 6x7). The camera is already very cheap and will probably get even cheaper. My main concern is the cost and sources for the film. It seems it is about $2 for a shot. That is costly for a hobby. And the large format films will be even harder to get.

There may be more cost to get the processor (for color). I already have a 4x5 enlarger (Omeage D5-XL/Prolab II).

Re: Time to Get a View Camera?

Besides making huge prints, the only other reason I can see a 'need' for a view camera is for image management (swings, tilts, rise, etc). Well, also for the larger negative which can provide for smoother transitions in tonality -- even in smaller prints.

RedSun,

As time goes by, the compelling reasons for any film based imaging modality become less and less coercive.

Never-the-less:
    I do not think that any man must have a “good” reason to want to buy another motor vehicle, firearm or fishing rod (this list may be extended). If you feel called to do LF photography and can spend money not otherwise obligated for groceries, rent or child support, listen to the old Nike slogan and "Just do it!"
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    RedSun,

As time goes by, the compelling reasons for any film based imaging modality become less and less coercive.

Never-the-less:
    I do not think that any man must have a “good” reason to want to buy another motor vehicle, firearm or fishing rod (this list may be extended). If you feel called to do LF photography and can spend money not otherwise obligated for groceries, rent or child support, listen to the old Nike slogan and "Just do it!"
    Here here!

Well said.

By analogy: Some people like automobiles, while others like trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, horses, skateboards. Some people like bicycles AND horses. It's not an either/or decision. They are all modes of transport.

Within the world of cameras, there are many choices, none mutually exclusive. Within the world of view cameras, there are also many choices and configurations: format, camera, lens, etc. None of those choices are mutually exclusive either.

No doubt there are more affordable pastimes: here's a nice article entitled 67 Free and Inexpensive Hobbies. Photography on the list, so I can't vouch for it's certitude.

Because cameras that use sheet film and especially ones with bellows are chick magnets, that's why.

There are a few medium format view camera available, you may want to consider those.

Then you can justify selling your Bronica kit to fund the purchase, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    RedSun,

Never-the-less:
    Totally right!!Do it right now!!

Because you joined the large format forum, that's why.

Andrew "The RedSun"

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    Because cameras that use sheet film and especially ones with bellows are chick magnets, that's why.
    Chick magnets? The chicks think the guys using the bellows are from the land survey office :-)