Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/8 to 1/4 bushing resistant ?

3/8 to 1/4 bushing resistant ?

Well, I received my first LF camera last week, a Cambo monorail. Of course, the tripod socket is 3/8 inch, my 40 year old tripod has a 1/4 inch thread. So I installed a 3/8 to 1/4 bushing in the tripod socket. The camera is held in place, does not seem to vibrate.
    My concern is that the coupling to the tripod is solely due to this bushing. The weight is not so much of a problem, but somehow i think that the torque applied to the bushing might cause the threads to collapse.
    Should I worry or not ?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: 3/8 to 1/4 bushing resistant ?

I wouldn't worry. I've had cameras with bushings on tripods for many years an dnever had, nor heard of, a bushing failure.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... of course just as I write this I'm sure someone will say the opposite, or have a story about how their camera fell to the ground due to a bushing failure.

In decades of use, the only "failure" I've had was when I installed a bushing and over-tightened it with a screw driver, causing one edge of the face to chip off. I could have left it in and used it as is, but simply backed it out with the screw driver (the reverse side remained untouched) and replaced it with a second bushing. If you can find brass alloy, I think they are better than the steel, but both work beautifully.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quick answer... For properly tightened joints you are just fine with the bushing and 1/4x20 bolt.

Slightly longer answer... Where you get into trouble is taking the joint apart and putting back together. The larger thread size is quicker and less likely to cross thread.

Even longer answer... The tensile stress surface area of the larger is twice as much as the smaller so having the larger in the softer material, I.e. aluminum Deardorff base, has advantage, and bushing it down to a smaller steel tripod base is just fine. Since the proof strength of a 1/4x20 low Grade 2 bolt is around 1,000 kilo/sq. in. The smaller bolt will manage 100's of pounds of equipment so I woudn't worry about that.

Bottom line: see quick answer.
    Cheers,
    Bill

A very rough calculation for the 1/4"-20 thread, assuming the bushing is common aluminum (6061-T6) with 3/8" engagement...

The pullout force would be about 1500 pounds.

The value for the 3/8"-16 thread would be roughly twice that value.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I've never had a problem. I stick to brass so if anything gets marred or otherwise damaged, it's the cheap bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    Well, I received my first LF camera last week, a Cambo monorail. Of course, the tripod socket is 3/8 inch, my 40 year old tripod has a 1/4 inch thread. So I installed a 3/8 to 1/4 bushing in the tripod socket. The camera is held in place, does not seem to vibrate.
    My concern is that the coupling to the tripod is solely due to this bushing. The weight is not so much of a problem, but somehow i think that the torque applied to the bushing might cause the threads to collapse.
    Should I worry or not ?
    Not.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_4606 View Post

Even longer answer... The tensile stress surface area of the larger is twice as much as the smaller so having the larger in the softer material, I.e. aluminum Deardorff base, has advantage, and bushing it down to a smaller steel tripod base is just fine. Since the proof strength of a 1/4x20 low Grade 2 bolt is around 1,000 kilo/sq. in. The smaller bolt will manage 100's of pounds of equipment so I woudn't worry about that.

Bottom line: see quick answer.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    The cross sectional area (minor diameter) of a 1/4-20 bolt is .028 sq. inches, that of the 3/8-24 bushing is .0818 sq inches, less the area of the 1/4 inch hole =.05 sq. in, or.0318 sq.in.. , very nearly the same area. For the proof strength of 1000 kilos/ sq. inch you cited the actual proof strain would be 61 lbs for the 1/4-20 bolt. The actual tensile strength of even low grade steel is much higher.
    For the OP, don't worry.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Um, I've had one problem with those damned bushings that has nothing to do with strength. Some will go all the way into the 3/8" hole, with nothing protruding. These allow the tripod mount or whatever to make full contact with the tripod head. Others don't go all the way in, allow a little wobble because all that contacts the tripod head is the bushing's head. If not real wobble, frightening imaginary wobble.