Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small part for a big stand. The Century Studio 10A Semi-Centennial Studio Stand.

A small part for a big stand. The Century Studio 10A Semi-Centennial Studio Stand.

It took many years, but I finally have my Century Studio 10A camera complete.

Well sort'of. I missing one silly little element that is called "pyramidal iron finial". There is still one original screwed to the stand but the other one is missing. I've thought of a pair of modern antique finials, or casting a replica of the original finial (which I haven't done since High School) or stamping one out of metal. But maybe, just maybe, the talent here may have a path to one.

This is my first post but I have over 40 years of photography and an interesting collection of cameras. Anyone want to chat about D-76...lol. Below are photos to guide you in my quest for the holy finial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century Studio-10A.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	78651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century Semi-Studio Stand Pillar.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	78652

Thank you for the interest and effort.

Ron (niner7tango-my old tail number)

www.thereallybigc.com

Re: A small part for a big stand. The Century Studio 10A Semi-Centennial Studio Stand

What a stupid piece to have gone missing!!

If I were you, I would find a pair of matching galvanised tops for garden posts (which are used to water out of the top ends of wood) and modify/age/paint and replace both.
    These ( at least in Europe) have exactly the right pyramid shape and size.

(Shrek)

Re: A small part for a big stand. The Century Studio 10A Semi-Centennial Studio Stand

That looks like a pretty easy piece to sand cast out of white metal, using sand from your local riverbank, broken crap for white metal, and a plumber's propane torch. If Bogart could do it in the jungle with a bronze propeller, I don't see why you can't with the help of your local Home Depot.

I'd probably see if there weren't something at homedepot/lowes very similar for fenceposts. If there wasn't, I'd put a piece of saran wrap over the top of the post and sculpt a replacement with bondo, then paint it to match.

I use to restore antique cars, but casting metals (poured babbet bearings) is something I haven't done in ages. My first cast was a screwdriver handle in 9th grade metal shop. Do public schools even teach this anymore?

It must be an age thing, I want something of little effort, but I think I may have found something like a band-aid for now. This outfit (via the web) called the Sign Bracket Store (www.booksandlattice.com) as ball finials and post caps. One of the designs may work and looks close to the original. Unsure about the interior dimensions of the cap. Apprehensive to order two caps without a clear understanding that the will fit on the pillars of the Century camera stand.

loujon

It's definitely a big long shot, but I swear that I've seen essentially this same cap used as a top for old coat racks and hall trees I've seen in antique shops, etc. I can't speak for the size being the same, but I've got the sensation that what I saw was very close in dimension. May be worth a bit of a search in your local antique shops and use office furniture places.

Good luck.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Niner7tango View Post
    It took many years, but I finally have my Century Studio 10A camera complete.

Well sort'of. I missing one silly little element that is called "pyramidal iron finial". There is still one original screwed to the stand but the other one is missing. I've thought of a pair of modern antique finials, or casting a replica of the original finial (which I haven't done since High School) or stamping one out of metal. But maybe, just maybe, the talent here may have a path to one.

This is my first post but I have over 40 years of photography and an interesting collection of cameras. Anyone want to chat about D-76...lol. Below are photos to guide you in my quest for the holy finial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century Studio-10A.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	78651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century Semi-Studio Stand Pillar.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	78652

Thank you for the interest and effort.

Ron (niner7tango-my old tail number)

www.thereallybigc.com
    Could you make a plaster mold from the finial you have and cast one out of acrylic resin or epoxy? I know the material is wrong, but if all you need is one for appearance....

http://www.lindsaybks.com/ Has some good how to info on home casting. You could also cut two squares of heavy brass and attach them, nicer than the raw endgrain sticking out.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

While driving around garage saling this weekend, I spotted this exact product (size ?) on the top of a mailbox support. It looked to be copper or at least a copper finish. It follows that this must be available through a hardware store or lumber yard. Hope the size happens to be correct.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    While driving around garage saling this weekend, I spotted this exact product (size ?) on the top of a mailbox support. It looked to be copper or at least a copper finish. It follows that this must be available through a hardware store or lumber yard. Hope the size happens to be correct.

I think it was something like this. I had a link in my earlier post but here's an attachment of different materials post caps in 4x4. I believe they simply sit on the top of the post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caps for Semi Centinial stand.jpg