Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Baco tripod head

Info on Baco tripod head

I have come across what I believe is a Baco Jr tripod head. The top and bottom plates measure 3 1/2 inches. It is similar to the Ries head. I am being dumb here but does anyone here know how to operate it. Specifically, does the tightening knob operate with the left hand so the right is free to tilt the camera? Also: How does it attach to the tripod? There don't seem to be any threads on the bottom plate. What I think is the top has the standard 1/4-20 threads. Any help would be appreciated..Thank you! Robbie

http://robbiebedell.photoshelter.com

Re: Info on Baco tripod head

OK. Here are a couple of photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baco 1.jpg   Baco 2.jpg  

I think the first photos shows the bottom of the head and the second the top. The screw is for mounting a camera, but the hole to mount it to a tripod has no threads. Now I am wondering if I am missing a plate that this whole thing might swivel on for panning, which might have a lock-screw on it. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I understand Brett Weston used one of these, or something similar..Thanks! Robbie

Robbie, I received your PM, thanks. The left photo is correct orientation (top up). You have the complete head. The threaded hole is for the tripod mount. Yes, Brett Weston used the Baco (Senior) head (approximately 5" diameter). I have his old Baco head and use it with my 8x10 Agfa.

Thank you Merg! I read about your Baco head and how when it belonged to Brett Weston it was damaged and repaired in Mexico and then given as a gift to you. That's a great story. It must be a real treasure! Robbie

I have a Baco head given to me by Cole about 30 years ago which was still wrapped in the original shipping materials. The knob goes on the right which leaves the threaded hole on the bottom so it can be attached tot he tripod.
    Cole told me that at one time he bought about a dozen from the inventor who lived in Hollywood. They were produced prior to the Ries heads and thankfully don't have that ugly rod to poke you in the face which was common on the early Ries.

Thank you Jim, This is bringing up some good stories! I am going to try and mount it on my wooden Berlbach and see what happens...I think it should hold a Wisner Tech 4x5 OK..

I have even put an 8x10 on it at times. It usually resides atop one of my Baco tripods.

Jim

The Baco company was located in Hollywood, California. The Ries company was originally located in Hollywood. Kind of makes you wonder

Nothing to wonder about. Ries acquired Baco primarily for the Baco head. Ries also owns the rights to the cameras and other products made by Baco.