Thread: easel background

easel background

Quite strange to me is the white background of most easels. Just the opposite of the plate behind the film. That one is always black. I made prints with a white background and with a black background as well. To my opinion white could give halo as the light passes through the paper and returns from the backgrond.
    So theoretically loss of sharpness.
    I noticed that with a black background it takes more time. Is there another reason why it is better to have a white background?
    I am new to the forum and this question is the reason why I am here. Hello to everyone!

Re: easel background

I've never had a problem with double weight fiber B&W paper, on a yellow background. When I printed color, (over a decade ago) I did have problems, so I used an easel with a black base.

When the Gantz Speed Ez-El made the transition from white easels long ago, the non-actinic property of the new yellow was given as a reason. It did make a difference.

All my easels are yellow except for the Lietz, which lost it's white when I refinished it a few years back.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White