Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question regarding colour postives

Re: Newbie question regarding colour postives

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Is there any other reason for the slides to be under-exposed and very red?
    It sounds like you loaded the film in the holder backwards, with the emulsion away from the lens, and exposed through the anti-halation dye.

That would cause both of those problems (assuming the dye is red, as it is on some films).

When loading the film holder, hold the film in your right hand with the notches at upper right.
    With the holder flap open along the top edge, insert the film fully and close the flap. Then insert the dark side.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

retrogrouchy

Yes, you loaded it backwards. The problem as I see it is that the description of "notch in the upper-right" is completely ambiguous. It really means "on the right end of the top edge" not "on the top end of the right edge"; both descriptions describe "notch in the top right corner" as far as I'm concerned but they are opposite orientations. You want "notch on the right end of the top (short) edge" while looking at the emulsion side and inserting the film in a holder.

The other confusing thing is that when you look at a processed chrome in its proper orientation (i.e. so the scene is around the right way and the edge-printing is correct), you are actually looking at the BACK (non-emulsion side) of the film. So if you're reading the edge-printing, you're looking at the back of the film and will see the notch in the corner opposite to where they tell you it should be while loading the film.

Since your images are visible though dark, you can prove to yourself that the film was loaded backwards. Look at the film with the edge-printing showing correctly (from the back of the sheet) and you will see that your scene is reversed. If you flip the sheet so that the scene is correct, the writing will be reversed. For a properly exposed sheet, both the image and the writing will show in the correct orientation at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    The problem as I see it is that the description of "notch in the upper-right" is completely ambiguous. It really means "on the right end of the top edge" not "on the top end of the right edge"; both descriptions describe "notch in the top right corner" as far as I'm concerned but they are opposite orientations.
    Technically speaking, yes. But we have to consider that the film can only go lenghwise into the holder. So, it is assumed that you're holding the film in portrait orientation, in which case the description "notch in the upper right corner" makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Technically speaking, yes. But we have to consider that the film can only go lenghwise into the holder. So, it is assumed that you're holding the film in portrait orientation, in which case the description "notch in the upper right corner" makes perfect sense.
    Yes. The way I learned it, one holds the sheet in one's right hand, with the thumb and the small finger holding the sheet by its (long) edges. The index finger can therefore rest on the notches. I hold the film holder in my left hand, with the hinge pointing in the same direction as my fingers. I can then slide the end of the film nearest me into the holder with my right hand while my thumb, small finger, and index finger are all touching the edges.

Rick "holding things in the correct--no--right--no--correct hand" Denney

retrogrouchy

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Holding the film in portrait is a HUGE unstated assumption and if violated, it results in the directions being precisely backwards. I actually load my holders from the right because that seems, well, the most obvious way* for a right-handed person to do it. It's not like someone sat me (and I suspect, a majority of new LF shooters) down and said "this is how you load a holder"; I just got a bunch, stacked 'em in the darkbag with the film box at the far end and started loading. I figured out the film orientation by taking a sacrificial sheet out of my first box, looking at it in the light to see which side the emulsion was on and then practised loading it a few times where I could see it.

* pull the slide out halfway with left hand, then left index finger sitting next to the film rail, hinge on the right. Hold 4x5 sheet in portrait orientation between thumb (lower left), index (upper left) and pinky (right) of right hand, notch at bottom of right edge. Bump left-index finger with film edge, slide it under the rails, get it in about 3/4 of the way and then lift the tail to make sure it's properly engaged with the rails. Then slide it all the way in and close the hinge and darkslide. If there's an easier way than this, do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Holding the film in portrait is a HUGE unstated assumption and if violated, it results in the directions being precisely backwards.
    Indeed. You're right about that. The portrait orientation seemed so natural to me, that it never occurred to me that I could do it any other way. But I guess you're right, it's an unstated assumption.
    I always hold the sheet of film with both hands while loading it, and using both hands somehow cries for portrait orientation. I suppose one could hold the sheet in one's right hand and slide it horizontally from right to left, though I find it much easier to use both hands and to slide the sheet downwards, especially when loading thin, flimsy sheets, like Rollei IR 400, or when loading 8x10" sheets.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

i had this same problem.... i had every book suggested from this forum, and they all assumed you knew how to load the film!

i spent dozens of sheets of film thinking that i had it round the right way, and i can tell you its very frustrating, i am a bit dyslexic and the one instruction i found was baffling to say the least...soooo

if you are holding the darkslide in your left hand and putting the sheet film in with your right, the notch is on the bottom right.

when it came out red it was upside down... i did the same thing, had a red image.

you can see the emulsion side as it has a matt finish where the other side has a shiny finish. it also scratches when wet.

after a lot of frustration

i looked up the great oracle you tube and found:http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...ture=endscreen
    through a glass darkly...