Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will a partially disassembled Omega D-2V fit into a compact car?

Re: Will a partially disassembled Omega D-2V fit into a compact car?

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    If you are lucky enough to find one, the old cold light head from Omega, the one that looks like a flying saucer, makes gorgeous prints with really lovely tonal ranges.
    I have one of these babies – the “Omegalite” cold light head.

Flying saucer indeed. Plug it in, hold it up, move it around, and it looks like something from the Close Encounters movie. Fun to entertain guests if you’re at a loss for conversation!

Its tonal ranges are lovely & subtle indeed. My contrasty negatives go under the Omegalite head – not under the condenser head w/ its associated Callier effect that can blow highlights. Now that I think about it, my Omegalite head gets much more use than my VC head.

People searching for Omega condenser enlargers like the D2v should always ask whether the Omegalite head is also available. Sometimes, it’s sitting nearby in a forgotten box, the seller having worked exclusively w/ the condenser head.

BTW, GE makes a “Circline” bulb (below) w/ warm, natural light that fits the old Omegalite head. The warm light makes it easy to use w/ multicontrast papers. I think GE calls it “kitchen & bath 22” and the product number is 11084. Most hardware stores should carry it in the $7-10 range. Lasts forever...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bulb.jpg  

How do you find the Omegalite head compares with the Chromega color head for printing contrasty negatives? The Chromega is also a diffusion light source.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I have one of these babies – the “Omegalite” cold light head.

Flying saucer indeed. Plug it in, hold it up, move it around, and it looks like something from the Close Encounters movie. Fun to entertain guests if you’re at a loss for conversation!

Its tonal ranges are lovely & subtle indeed. My contrasty negatives go under the Omegalite head – not under the condenser head w/ its associated Callier effect that can blow highlights. Now that I think about it, my Omegalite head gets much more use than my VC head.

People searching for Omega condenser enlargers like the D2v should always ask whether the Omegalite head is also available. Sometimes, it’s sitting nearby in a forgotten box, the seller having worked exclusively w/ the condenser head.

BTW, GE makes a “Circline” bulb (below) w/ warm, natural light that fits the old Omegalite head. The warm light makes it easy to use w/ multicontrast papers. I think GE calls it “kitchen & bath 22” and the product number is 11084. Most hardware stores should carry it in the $7-10 range. Lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    How do you find the Omegalite head compares with the Chromega color head for printing contrasty negatives? The Chromega is also a diffusion light source.
    I’ve only used the Omegalite cold light head on my D2v, so I’m unable to make a comparison, but I imagine they produce a similar (wide) range of tones, even w/ difficult, contrasty negatives.

The warm “Circline” tube (shown above) in my Omegalite head is convenient to me because when I’m using the D2v enlarger, no extra (deep yellow) compensating filter is necessary for MC printing papers – that is, one needs only the normal MC filters. The Circline tube’s warmth (i.e., yellowish quality) makes it close to tungsten bulb lighting such as the 75w PH-211 bulb.

BTW, I think the V54 tube for Arista cold light heads (not the older V45 tube) works in a very similar way. You can use this tube w/ D2 series enlargers, too. (The Arista head would fit inside the enlarger’s cylindrical condenser housing, where the two fixed condenser lenses would normally be; you would, of course, remove the unneeded lamp house & VC box.) The V54 tube – like the Circline tube – has a warm balance that goes well w/ MC papers. The older, more-bluish V45 tube still works okay w/ MC papers, but its contrast spacing is not as good; it works best w/ graded papers.