Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod and head recommendations for Tachihara

Question Tripod and head recommendations for Tachihara

I am in the market for a carbon fiber tripod(light weight for hiking in the field) and head for my 4 x 5 Tachihara. Any suggestions based on experiences would be appreciated.

Preston Birdwell

Re: Tripod and head recommendations for Tachihara

I have a Manfrotto 055CXPro3 carbon fiber tripod and a Kaiser 'Medium' ball head that I use with my Chamonix 045N-2. The Chamonix is about the same weight as my Tachihara, and the tripod and head combo works perfectly. It's nice and light, and I like the lever leg locks on the tripod. No complaints.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I personally can't work well with ball heads as I am constantly fighting to find the true level in both directions. Far too frustrating.

My favorite head is the Manfrotto 410 with gross and micrometer controls for pan, plus horizontal and vertical precision positioning. It only takes seconds to locate all three positions for ideal composition and perfect leveling with the bubble levels in my Zone VI.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I personally can't work well with ball heads as I am constantly fighting to find the true level in both directions. Far too frustrating.

My favorite head is the Manfrotto 410 with gross and micrometer controls for pan, plus horizontal and vertical precision positioning. It only takes seconds to locate all three positions for ideal composition and perfect leveling with the bubble levels in my Zone VI.
    Another who dislikes ball heads - I have never understood the appeal.

Another vote for the Manfrotto 410, and a 438 leveling head beneath it is very helpful: See here. I use this arrangement no matter how light or small the camera.

Preston Birdwell

Ken and All,

Using a ball head with my 4x5 is a matter of economics. I purchased it when I was shooting mostly 645, and when I got my Tachihara, I continued to use it. At this point, I can't afford the Manfroto/Bogen 410, so, until I can, I'll keep using my Kaiser. I've gotten used to it, so it's not a big deal for me.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

When I was shopping for a tripod I decided not to go the economical root and went straight for what seems to be my ideal tripod, the Really Right Stuff TVC-33 (mind you I am a graduate student and this thing costs about three times any of my cameras). I think it is a good idea to invest in a good tripod once, which will serve you for many years instead bouncing between cheaper pods.

I use RRS' BH-55 ball head as well, but if I wanted independent control over axes and really precise control I would agree ball heads are probably not the best.

I'd suggest making a list of the features you want and seeing what matches up. My list went something like :
    -Solid support for any cameras I own or might own (prolly nothing larger than 4 x 5) and well made
    -Good maximum height (real eye level, so basically 56" or so for me)
    -No center column (nice to quickly change height, but they sacrifice stability)
    -No more than 3 leg sections (4 leg sections again seem to get too spindly)
    -Not too large when folded, but my height/column/leg requires pretty much push this out of the way
    -Ideally not more than 7 or 8 pounds as I like taking long walks for photography
    -Ideally not metal for weight and comfort reasons (in the summer and winter metal is unpleasant)
    -Ideally not outrageously expensive (TVC-33 doesn't really meet this one)

I'd also really suggest going to a real bricks & mortar store to try out the tripods. Sadly the RRS pods pretty much have to be bought sight unseen unless you have a friend with one.

Of course not all of the features were possible to obtain with one pod. The Manfrottos seemed like a good option to save money but they didn't feel right and were too short. Gitzo's are a standard but the attention to details is nicer on the RRS pods IMHO (the feet and the angle locks for instance) for not much more. I considered a Ries but they did not seem portable enough (too long and heavy), though I'd like to get one eventually, if for no other reason than they are pretty and I'd like to support a company like that.

Thom Hogan's article is a good read: http://bythom.com/support.htm

A junior 410 is big, heavy and inconvenient to carry. It is also not very stable with anything big or heavy, such as a sinar with extension rail for example. If you have ever taken one apart, they are very frajile and the threads are easily damaged when stressed by heavy loads. The legs on aluminium tripods bend easily and the releases gunk up with grit and they become thouroughly frustrating. Centre columns often introduce instablity, specially lateral instability, so you put your film holder in and the camera is pointing somewhere else. I am enjoying a berlebach 4032 which has 2 piece wood legs and a built in leveling ball. That ball is rock solid and gives nearly as much movement as a 410. Since the ball has a bolt through the bottom to tighten up the QR plate, I am considering drilling a hole through it, so that i can suspend my backpack from it and to make the ball head self leveling. Arrive at spot, unclamp 3 legs in one place only, adjust and stand it up, hook bag onto underside of ball to level automatically, snap camera onto arca style QR plate and you are away. I thought I should have got teh 4032P which has a pan fitting on the ball but have got used to not having it, I just level and aim the QR plate before putting the camera on. In my opinion you need to look at the tripod, head and quick release system together and find the combination that does what you need as simply as possible. For some that is a complicated geared head and for others it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post

that's why they make bulls-eye levels. put one on your camera, level it, done. The 410 is okay but mine went to hell rather quickly and i needed something that could handle all my cameras including the pentax 6x7. and yes, it's heavy.

Bull's eye levels will only tell you when your camera is level. A 3-way head lets you compose the image from under the dark cloth (or looking through a view finder or rangefinder) without worrying about staying level. You can pan without tilting, tilt without panning, etc.

A leveling head (which has a bull's eye level) lets you precisely level the tripod itself - without having to adjust the legs. Using the legs to level the tripod is almost impossible, unless you're already on a level surface. Once the head is level, then all the adjustments you make stay level if you want. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread, other than an infra red viewing device in the darkroom, or the Sinar shutter.

I've got a Manfrotto 410 head. Best head I've ever had. (read into that what you will). I've got theAarca-Swiss qr plate mount for it and it's wonderful. Not sure if it's stable enough for my 8x10 though. If anyone can suggest a head for that, it'd be appreciated. For a big Cambo monorail.