Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome 4x5

"I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Re: Kodachrome 4x5

I have seen those, pretty nice stuff. Here is one I own, an 8x10 Kodachrome of actress Ruth Hussey taken in 1946, as seen on my light table...

Where did you get that 8x10 of Miss Hussey?

With all the restoration and archival work I have done with local museums.
    I have worked with many an old chrome!

I have an old 8x10 Anscochrome from the 1960's which was shot of my Grandfather for a magazine...
    It is just now starting to show a slight yellow-green fade... Like most Anscochromes...

I have worked with quite a few 1939 8x10 Kodachromes, no fading whatsoever!

But still it is important to make B&W separation masters of those color originals! Even Kodachrome won't last forever!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

I've also seen these and have been inspired. I so wish they still made Kodachrome in LF. What I really like about them is the lighting and how the photographer had to really know his craft to light the scenes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I have seen those, pretty nice stuff. Here is one I own, an 8x10 Kodachrome of actress Ruth Hussey taken in 1946, as seen on my light table...
    That chrome is just drop-dead gorgeous….!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    Where did you get that 8x10 of Miss Hussey?
    A little over a year ago, a guy in Australia listed about 7 8x10 Kodachromes on eBay. They did not come up so easy in a regular search but did in my "super" search. Some of the actors were famous, some less, the conditions varied. I went with Ruth because it was one of the best in terms of condition. I got it for a little over $300.....I still can't believe I have it, I have never seen anything like it since.

I started collecting Kodachrome memorabilia years ago, have a great collection, but Ruth is by far the best, well, besides the 35,000 Kodachromes I shot from 8/2006 until a half hour before Dwayne's shut the machine down...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    Or you could just go to Shorpy and cut middle man who is using their stuff to get popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Very interesting and nice. Got to try it

Kind of a pity that Kodak didn't splash out and cut some new 120 or 4x5 K64 as a proper send off... Being that K64 led to film resolution bottlenecks in 135 format, especially compared to higher resolving films.( It's why I'd bailed on using it exclusively by the early 90's. ) Not an issue in LF. Proprietary developing in a complicated process line that couldn't be replicated on a small scale killed LF Kodachrome. Long live Kodachrome... And E6 Astia that took it's crown.

Who would have processed that larger format Ivan? And I disagree with the resolution thing, I shot thousands of Kodachrome 25 and 64 slides behind modern Leica aspheric glass, compared it to finer grain Fuji stock and found it did not have the edge / bite that Kodachrome did. I also found KM-25 to be only ever so slightly better than the last batch of 64, and I compared them to beautiful KM-25 shot in the late 80's too just to see if I was imagining things.

KR64 was a stunning film until the very end......I know because I shot the very last frame of it....