Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Kevin Kolosky

Tripods

What is the current best bang for the buck in lightweight tripods. I would think that there are many companies now making the carbon fiber tripods such that there is a little competition in that market.
    I know the name Gitzo, but are there any other good carbon fiber tripods out there for reasonable money that will stand up to the weight of a Sinar P2 and lens.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Re: Tripods

I don't mean to seem rude, so sorry if is sounds that way....but I kind of fail to understand the need for a light ripod when your lugging a P2. I guess I feel that a camera that nice and heavy pairs best with a big, sturdy, and heavy tripod. I'm a big fan of Gitzo 4 and 5 series aluminum, especially the older ones made in France. They can be affordable when found used.

Anyway, just my opinions, I'm sure others will disagree and offer some good light weight solutions.

Best of luck!
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Feisol is popular with a lot of people on this forum.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    I don't mean to seem rude, so sorry if is sounds that way....but I kind of fail to understand the need for a light ripod when your lugging a P2. I guess I feel that a camera that nice and heavy pairs best with a big, sturdy, and heavy tripod. I'm a big fan of Gitzo 4 and 5 series aluminum, especially the older ones made in France. They can be affordable when found used.

Anyway, just my opinions, I'm sure others will disagree and offer some good light weight solutions.

Best of luck!

I don't think that was rude at all.
    I want it as an all around tripod so that I can use the P2 on it when needed, but when I have to walk more than a block I take the Zone VI with me, and if its more than a few blocks I take the Hasselblad 503!

You might take a look at video tripods as well - just the legs, as a video head is designed for smooth movement and can be quite pricey. The legs typically accommodate a leveling half ball arrangement and a pan/tilt head mounts easily. Libec makes some moderately priced units. I use one with my 8 x 10 Linhof and it is adequately stiff.

Tiltall.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I have Gitzo 3541 XLS and it can hold my 4x5s and 8x10 easily with Acratech head. Not as lightweight as some others, but i know i can hang my rucksack on it, and put camera on, and it will still wont wobble (even though it is rated at 16 kilo ).
    Got it for about 400$ from B&H.

My only with that it would work with 8x10 head from Tiffen that i had to buy S&D tripod for ;( (its heavy but its uber sturdy and got air cushion..), but its not going to happen i think..

used gitzo 1325, they stopped making them and switched to 6x carbon fiber $$$$$ right after I bought mine.

I used an old Tiltall Pro for many years, It was sturdy and easily supported my Toho FC-45X, which only weighs about 4 lbs with lens. Recently I got a Calumet 8144 carbon fiber tripod with an Induro PHQ Panhead. The combination weighs about 5 lbs and the head allows all sorts of movements. It cost about $700-$800, a lot less than a Gitzo, and it more than meets my needs. It works even with my panoramic head, with which I can make two to three exposures to stitch together.

My experience has been that the best bang for the buck is the tripod that will do everthing I want it to. I bought too many tripods & heads that weren't quite sturdy enough. A long focal length (and heavy) lens on your Hasselblad 503 could be pretty demanding on your tripod. I would get something at least as sturdy as a Gitzo 3 series. The weight savings of a carbon fiber tripod is worth the cost if you do much walking ... you'll probably carry more other stuff in your bag eliminating any real total weigh savings so the advantage of the lighter tripod is when you're carrying it almost ready to use: over shoulder or in hand with your arm about to fall off...

Jeff Keller