Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: developing 4x5 with the yankee daylight development tank

Re: developing 4x5 with the yankee daylight development tank

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Some of the film I've been using has something blue on it that gets into my developer and seems to reduce it's life. If I pre-soak, or pre-wash with gentle running water, this blue crap gets washed away before I develop.
    That's just the anti-halation dye on the back of the film dissolving, as it's designed to do.
    It will discolor the first liquid used, whether it be pre-soak or developer.

This is absolutely normal. It happens with all films (except x-ray film), and is of no consequence whatsoever.

It's chemically inert and will not affect any photographic chemistry. The color will vary with the particular film in use, but it's irrelevant.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I am a devotee of Yankee tanks. I think they work great...
    I too like the Yankee tank. The overall design of the tank is well thought out and it's very easy to use.

I have experienced some uneven development, but I attribute that entirely to operator malfunction.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    That's just the anti-halation dye on the back of the film dissolving, as it's designed to do.

This is absolutely normal. It happens with all films (except x-ray film), and is of no consequence whatsoever.

It's chemically inert and will not affect any photographic chemistry. The color will vary with the particular film in use, but it's irrelevant.

- Leigh
    I know about anti-halation layers, in fact I've wondered if I could improvise one on the X-ray film I've been using. I'm talking about some blue goop that turns my developer deep sky blue, and really does take 20 minutes to wash off. It's not conventional film. I'm not entirely sure what it is, possibly a color-separation film from the motion picture industry. It quite possibly is an anti-halation layer, but an extremely dense one designed for use in unconventional exposure situations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	77714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	77715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	77716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	77717

heres my first 4x5 shots developed in the yankee

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	77714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	77715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	77716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	77717

heres my first 4x5 shots developed in the yankee
    What film are you using? I don't think I've ever seen notches quite like that. And #4 could be quite good, with a little work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    What film are you using? I don't think I've ever seen notches quite like that. And #4 could be quite good, with a little work.

Ilford hp4, the "scans" are quite crapy, its just a picture of a negative on a softbox app on my ipad... but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

- Leigh
    And freaks me out every time i try some new sheet film )

But i do agree - they are ok as intermediate solution. I have one as well as HP tank and both are kinda drying stations now, but i used them till i got Jobo b/c tray development isn't for me, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    I have negative opinions of things that deserve negative opinions. Yes, I have tried the Yankee. It is now a film drying rack. IMHO, if you want uneven negatives, and waste a lot of chemistry in the process, then go for it. There are cheaper, better options. I picked up an 8x10 unidrum and roller for $2 at the local camera shop. It is infinitely better than the Yankee.
    Yes, the yankee is indeed crapola. Fill it with cement and use it as a canoe anchor. I use a Nikor 4x5 tank.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Well I like it so far...used mine for the first time this past weekend doing a stand development for an hour with HC-110 and slow agitation back forth for the first minute. I had even development with no problem although I only processed 2 sheets instead of six so I'm not sure if that will make a difference. I'll post my results later.

JTNP by bsharp#, on Flickr

My example from the HP-Combi Tank. I think I overexposed a little, but it worked fine.