Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: developing 4x5 with the yankee daylight development tank

Question developing 4x5 with the yankee daylight development tank

for the yankee daylight development tank, do you use the same time frame process ( like develop for about 8 minutes, depending on temp, then stop bath for 1 min then fixer for three then wash) or is it different?

Re: developing 4x5 with the yankee daylight development tank

different then say drums, reels, etc. No.

Turn it into a planter, or film drying rack, or whatever. It is useless for development.
    Peter Y.

i dont get why people on this site have such negative opinions about everything

im pretty sure i didnt ask if this was a good product......

Cody,

I've used one with ease for years and with good results. I've always followed the manufacturer's times on the film/developer instructions. Three things: bang the hell out of it a few times when you first pour in the developer to dislodge any air bells, and process in a relatively deep sink since you need to be pretty emphatic with your agitation and that often results in the liquid slopping over the top a bit. Also, agitate in the direction that the film lies across the tank so that you evenly bathe the film and don't risk having one of the edges slip out of the track due to pressure from the liquid.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post
    I have negative opinions of things that deserve negative opinions. Yes, I have tried the Yankee. It is now a film drying rack. IMHO, if you want uneven negatives, and waste a lot of chemistry in the process, then go for it. There are cheaper, better options. I picked up an 8x10 unidrum and roller for $2 at the local camera shop. It is infinitely better than the Yankee.
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post

im pretty sure i didn't ask if this was a good product......
    Cody, don't be so critical of the negative posts. They are not negative, although they are sometimes harshly worded and appear negative. They are generally warnings, and mostly from people who have had bad experiences.

Also, expecting people to read your post and adhere strictly to the questions you asked is somewhat optimistic on your part. These threads often break down over that issue. A misunderstanding about exactly what a poster asks, and the offering of assistance, even in the form of a warning may be a bit off the target of your question. It happens... and it happens all the time.

Now I was NOT going to jump in on this question, but over the years, I have had three Yankee tanks and finally concluded that they are pretty much worthless, but they were inexpensive or given to me at the time. And free or cheap is good in my book. But I still could not get them to work properly and it cost me a lot in chemicals and paper.

I have to add that this is one of the least negative and "pissy" forums I have participated in, and I have visited many and left them for that reason.

Please hang in there. This thread is one of the cleanest I have seen, and the warning from one poster is misconstrued on your part. You were harsh back in your response.

Yankee tanks obviously work for some, but for me they were messy and too restrictive, like learning to bump the air bubbles and agitate with such accuracy.

Something slightly automated on the agitation will be far better than a yankee tank.

They work fine... Not the best but they work...

The problems most people have usually involve "Operator Error"! ;D

You would use it the same as say a Patterson tank.

Don't get to upset about negative answers... Remember that the rule of thumb with any forum is...

"Ask a question, get an opinion. Ask for an opinion and get an answer" ;D
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

They work fine... Not the best but they work...

The problems most people have usually involve "Operator Error"!

You would use it the same as say a Patterson tank.

Don't get too upset about negative answers... Remember that the rule of thumb with any forum is...

"Ask a question, get an opinion. Ask for an opinion and get an answer"
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Cody,

I've used one with ease for years and with good results. I've always followed the manufacturer's times on the film/developer instructions. Three things: bang the hell out of it a few times when you first pour in the developer to dislodge any air bells, and process in a relatively deep sink since you need to be pretty emphatic with your agitation and that often results in the liquid slopping over the top a bit. Also, agitate in the direction that the film lies across the tank so that you evenly bathe the film and don't risk having one of the edges slip out of the track due to pressure from the liquid.

Tim
    thanks for the good advice ill let you know how things go tonight