Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 film officially discontinued?

Fuji Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 film officially discontinued?

Came across this article this morning stating Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film is officially discontinued by Fuji but I can't find any other sources. Anyone know if this has any truth to it?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...essional-films

Still Developing

Re: Fuji Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 film officially discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by C4D View Post
    Came across this article this morning stating Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film is officially discontinued by Fuji but I can't find any other sources. Anyone know if this has any truth to it?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...essional-films
    Various UK shops have been emailed by Fuji last week to tell them about this. However, not US shops seem to have received an email. This sounds like the last press release from Fujifilm UK saying 'Astia discontinued worldwide' when it was just Fujifilm UK stopping importing it.

The only worry is they talk about 'stopping manufacture' but that could be because there is regional manufacturing?

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

I've got enough rvp to last me at least 15 yrs but this is still a bummer. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I've got enough rvp to last me at least 15 yrs but this is still a bummer. Fuck.
    hey vinnie, can you enlighten me newbie about slide film durability, please?
    how long does the film hold in the fridge? does the freeze improve anything?

Quote Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
    hey vinnie, can you enlighten me newbie about slide film durability, please?
    how long does the film hold in the fridge? does the freeze improve anything?
    I'm currently going stock of rvp and rdp3 that expired in 1993. I can't (and my drum scans) can't see any degration compared to fresh sheets. Yes, I keep it frozen. Plenty of info on the web regarding that.

This is gonna suck. I still have 3/4 of an E-6 kit left to use.

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    Various UK shops have been emailed by Fuji last week to tell them about this. However, not US shops seem to have received an email. This sounds like the last press release from Fujifilm UK saying 'Astia discontinued worldwide' when it was just Fujifilm UK stopping importing it.

The only worry is they talk about 'stopping manufacture' but that could be because there is regional manufacturing?

Tim
    Fuji still makes Astia?

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Fuji still makes Astia?
    maybe they do, maybe they don't. freestyle still has it. As with any film you like at this point I'd advise anyone to buy all you can afford. We're near the end of an era.

Drew Wiley

Like all such rumors, one needs to differentiate between a distribution change somewhere
    and what or what might not become phased out from actual manufacture. Even if all this
    proves true, Velvia 100 would still be production on polyester sheet base, and Provia 100
    (unfortunately, still on triacetate). So not exactly the end of the world. Astia has officially
    gone out of production, but some inventory remains. I'm pretty suspicious of chrome film
    frozen afte a decade - highlight crossover, fog, etc become a risk. And once you thaw old
    film, it seems to age much faster than fresh film. But that hasn't stopped me from buying
    some outdated film at good pricing and using it in a timely fashion.

Drew, that's sadistic, nurturing my hope and prayers for the 50 ;-)
    Hope you're right anyways *gg*

Let's say the film you've frozen is 10 years old ... how long do you think it will survive after thawing?

Thanks,
    Martin