Joerg Colberg and Edward Rozzo have had a (so far) short conversation on their blogs about photography's future. The question is, of course, where do we go from here? I've tried to make an abstract here of their positions. Click on their names (links) for the complete posts.

Colberg: Who - or what - can move photography forward, looking forward? Ironically, it is digital photography that has resulted in the current stasis of the medium. ... In fact, I think that it’s actually in the analog area where artists are producing the most interesting work right now, where artists are attempting to move if not forward then at least sidewards.

Rozzo: The popular equivalency of photographic image = reality has been permanently altered. Everyone, or practically anyone who is visually literate, knows that they can never again trust an image in order to understand reality. ... But the pushing of limits...has, in reality, already taken place. It’s just that you can’t find it in abstract linguistic research ...

Colberg: ...it’s not true. ...the vast majority of people trust photography... ...if there is a “mind-blowing revolution”...it has everything to do with how or where we see and share photographs. ... I have the feeling that we might want to move on from both the postmodern and the post-postmodern ideas of photography. ... For a start, we could stop focusing on one-liners and start exploring the medium internet and how it can be used for photography. ... Serializing work, in a meaningful way, would try to alter the attention economy...