Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J and C Photo..... headaches

J and C Photo..... headaches

A lot of people seem to be having trouble with supply of materials from J&C at the moment.

I made an order in early December (5th) 2003 for 6 boxes of classic 200 of 8x10, and the same amount in 5x7. Obviously not a huge order, but not a single roll either.

It was to be shipped express international to me in Sydney, Australia. Everything went super smooth. John was fantastic, told me about shipping etc, processed the order and shipped the film. GREAT. I was made aware that 3 boxes of 8x10 were on back order and would be shipped a fortnight later.

Then the wheels fell off.

The film did not arrive when expected. I began sending emails asking for a tracking number (the only way to find it). NO RESPONSE.

More emails sent. NO RESPONSE.

Christmas came and went.

I began making futile calls to my countries postal service. Unfortunately, without that tracking number, I was stuffed.

STILL NO RESPONSE ON A TRACKING NUMBER.

Late January a package arrives at my work (where it was supposed to be sent).

Unfortunately the package of film had been addressed incorrectly (wrong city etc). It was by pure luck that it made it to me and was not sitting in some draw waiting to be claimed.

I HAD STILL NOT BEEN GIVEN A TRACKING NUMBER OR RECEIVED ANY REPLY.

I quickly fired an email over to John explaining what had happened (and the fact that I had the first part of my order). That express shipping to an address that does not exist cost me US$80.

NO RESPONSE.

I kept emailing, trying to make sure the rest of the order was not sent to this mystery address.

NO RESONSE.

Just a few days ago i received an email from John asking me 'are you telling me you have received no film at all' and confirming that the remaining 8x10 had not been sent yet!!!!!!!

Not a single bit of his response addressed the incorrect shipping, the possibility of the other film being shipped to the wrong address... none of my concerns were addressed.

I have sent near a dozen emails. I've only gotten a single half baked response when i started getting short in my emails.

I was advised that J&C were great at looking after customers.

If they're having problems all they need to do is let their customers (who have paid in full) know what is happening.

I've been told nothing with regards to my order and what action is being taken.

US$80 for incorrect shipping, no useful response and film still not sent..... over 2 months after the order was placed.

sorry for the rant, but it has simply gotten to the point where I am truly pissed.

hope everyone else is having a better time of it.

Dave.

and at the same time, correspondance and business with Mpex, RRS and Camera Bellows went without a hitch.

ie. my email was all fine and dandy.

I have never bought from them and do not need to (I buy my Efke PL100 in Stockholm, where I live, and my Fortepan 200 (same as Classic 200) from Lotus View Camera in Austria - no hitches). No excuses and always kept well-informed.

They were closed for most of that period I think. They are closed down again right now while they move. But I did get a question answered a few days ago.

They are in the middle of relocating to a warehouse from their home and hiring a full time staff to meet unanticipated demand. John posted a couple of reports over on APUG.org. I suspect there will be a few rough weeks yet, but it's great that they are having such success, and they seem committed to improving service. I'd be patient in the meanwhile.

I placed an order for J&C200 8x10 in late December. About 2 weeks after their holiday break came & went I inquired about my first order and placed another one. I was informed that the J&C200 was on backorder and wouldn't be available for at least 4 more weeks. I asked to switch my order to Efke100 which he supposedly had in stock. He agreed. That was over 2 weeks ago & I still don't have any film. Now they are closed until March 1. I've been out of film for a month (my fault, I know) and it's very frustrating. Then a few days ago my credit card was credited for one of the orders. He still has my money from the first order. It's a confusing frustrating mess. I love the film and am glad about their success, but their customer service in the last couple months has really sucked.

In all honesty David, you have been an unsuspecting casualty of a situation that forced two temporary business closures (the one right at the first of the year) and the current one (to go to a new warehouse and add a new staff) that were a result of the exponential growth of J&C during the last year. The film has been flying out of the doors. That is not an excuse, it is simply the fact. You have every right to be upset so no offense is taken here by any means. Many of us (and hopefully you) will afford John and his growing business the opportunity to show us what he can do when he is not taxed beyond reasonableness. I am confident that your situation will not be replicated.

Secondly, I wanted to pass along the fact that in about a month, you will have an alternative for the same marvelous Efke film. Jens Jensen, who is now the owner of the former Durst Pro USA in Oregon (Durst Enlarger sales and service) will be stocking and selling the entire Efke line of film as well. In conversations with Jens, they are going to be price competitive and from my perspective, it insures that a price increase from J&C that could follow the investment in facilities and staff does not go unchecked.

For large format photographers (including myself), the biggest fear we all have is to take a liking to a particular film and then for reasons unknown it simply goes away............ More options for Efke film is a very good thing for those of us that have come to know this brand name.

Hang in there David and your patience will be rewarded.

Cheers!

David: Why in the world did you order from J&C? You'd be much better ordering directly from THEIR supplier, FotoImpex - Berlin. http://www.fotoimpex.de/ I'd recommend you direct complaints there too since J&C is THEIR US market outlet. The more their name is involved, the more pressure can be brought against J&C. The way you were treated is NOT acceptable business pressure. FotoImpex is VERY reliable with international shipments.
    Alec

Alec:

I have always been skeptical of individual shippers avoiding heavy doses of the mail screening x ray for shipping from Europe to the US (or elsewhere)when you are completely familiar or are not in the customs loop. Many have said that Fed Ex can accomplish this objective, but internationally I am not so sure. Can you enlighten us on this subject?

My thanks.

I received the price list from Jens Jensen for Efke film and was notified that it will be available for shipment on March 15, 2004. For an example, the prices for 8x10 PL100 or 8x10 Efke 25 film when you buy over 8 boxes of one or the other are $8.00/box cheaper than the current J&C price listed on their web page. I would love to get those that shoot this film together in various formats from 120 to 12x20 and beyond on a private thread to take advantage of this situation. The prices for 11x14 and 12x20 are even greater and it comes in 25 sheet boxes.Cheers!