Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaubel Peco Profia

Re: Plaubel Peco Profia

Plaubel Peco Profia 6.5x9cm Makina Film Plate Back restored by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have over fifty of these 6.5x9cm Plaubel Makina Sheet Film Holders. I want to be able to use these plates in my Plaubel 4x5 Peco Profia view cameras. I like shooting single sheets, although these holders are surprising heavy when stacked together! BTW this unit came from a shop in France.

Yesterday I finished partially restoring this 70's vintage original Plaubel 6.5x9cm holder. I cut a piece of thick cardboard to go on top of the rear groundglass frame area, and secured it tightly with a lot of layers of black photo masking tape. I then taped the black Peco Profia Bag Bellows Viewer to the cardboard frame. This is good enough for now but next I will cut something out of some nice hard wood that I can paint black. I can see 100% ground glass at once and see more than enough detail to obtain perfect focus. I bought a 3x4" fresnel and cut it with bench grinder to precisely fit behind the ground glass and it works a treat. Good as new as far as I can tell.

Right now I have J Lane Glass Dry Plates, ORWO NP20 (very old from Bulgaria), FOMA 100, Fresh FP4+, and some other B&W emulsions loaded and ready to be exposed.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Daniel, Great work! I wish I had something like the bag bellow viewer for my Plaubel 4x5 Junior. Your work is way over my head and skillset but I love your Plaubel. Everything on my Junior is cleverly engineered but not over engineered. Things that are supposed to click, click. Things like the focus that are supposed to slide, slide like butter with no wiggle even when locking. The Junior can even tolerate a fair amount of dirt & grit and still work perfect. Obviously a lot of thought by a gifted designer. It is a kind of a portable hybrid between a folding and rail type camera.

I know it took a lot of dedication and time to put your superb outfit together!

Quote Originally Posted by RivetGun View Post
    Daniel, Great work! I wish I had something like the bag bellow viewer for my Plaubel 4x5 Junior. Your work is way over my head and skillset but I love your Plaubel. Everything on my Junior is cleverly engineered but not over engineered. Things that are supposed to click, click. Things like the focus that are supposed to slide, slide like butter with no wiggle even when locking. The Junior can even tolerate a fair amount of dirt & grit and still work perfect. Obviously a lot of thought by a gifted designer. It is a kind of a portable hybrid between a folding and rail type camera. I know it took a lot of dedication and time to put your superb outfit together!

RivetGun,

Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm a Plaubel Guy and this has been fun to do and the best is ahead I think.

You might enjoy the original catalog. They did make a bag bellows and I have one which I have adapted to Makiflex.

Peco Junior Catalog by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Daniel, thanks for the catalog. I am scared to ask if you have the catalog for the larger Junior 9x12 - 4x5. Finding accessories can be tough without part numbers although I am slowly finding the stuff I need. I wonder how many hours of research it took to put your rig together? It's all part of the fun and watching the parts come together is like finally finding a lost treasure!

Greetings. I bought a Profia 4x5 about a year ago, and have shopped around for a recessed lens board for about half that time. I see one occasionally on the German auction site, but, as is often the case, the seller has not been willing to ship to the US (my location). There is a recessed board currently on the US auction site, but the description of the board isn't explicit about the corresponding camera model. The sales header is "Plaubel peco recessed lens board + adapter for junior", which implies to me that the board is not for a Junior. The board seems to have been 'customized' at some point, hard to say if that was a constuctive alteration or not. I've pinged the seller, but so far without reply. Would anyone care to weigh in on the likelihood that the board in the image will fit a Profia? I've attached an image of the board in question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recessed_Plaubel_lens_board_ebay.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	211473

Does your Profia needs a 120mm or 160mm lens board?

This expired listing shows the same board as 121mm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider...p2047675.l2557

The board you referenced was offered by the same seller earlier with better pictures. It has the same part number (SG5/356) as the first link. I believe it is 120mm wide but you have to have a suitable opening for the square portion also.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Plaubel-Peco...p2047675.l2557

I believe the removable board is for the smaller 6X9 Junior and not the larger 9x12 Junior.
    The outside dimension would fit my Junior 9x12 but I don't think the square part will fit the circular opening. I hope this helps!

That's a much earlier Reduction Adapter for the Universal III. ^^^

Peco Profia No 2 Wide Lensboard 135 Symmar by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is Plaubel Peco Profia #2 with 4x5 Graflock Sliding Back. PS1/356 165mmx165mm to 120mmx120mm Recessed Reduction Adapter. Product Number 97441 $22.00

PN1/344 Lensboard 120mmx120mm for 75mm Super Angulon lens used with PS1/356 Recessed Reduction Adapter Product Number 97301 $4.50

― Mark Twain

RivetGun, Daniel, thanks for your replies. My Profia uses a 166mm square lensboards. The board pictured below is marked PS1/344, however another board in black, but otherwise nearly identical, is marked PS2/344. Are the meanings of the PS1 & PS2 markings clear to either of you? Three of the 4 lensboards I have are each a bit different than the others, though all seat and fix properly on the standard.

I had a go at approximating the sizes of the boards in the two auction links you referenced, RivetGun. One of the auctions gave a diameter for the hole in the pictured adaptor lensboard, and also a diameter for the hole in the adjacent recessed board. I measured those holes on my desktop screen and compared them to the stated diameters, and got a ratio of 0.86 in both cases. Applying that factor to the width I measured for the pictured recessed board, I got a width of 178 mm. Pretty dicey, I know, but I would guess it lets me know that the recessed board is too large for a Junior, anyway. I took the 121mm figure in the first link to refer to the focal length of the lens, rather than to the width of the lensboard.

The auction site boards look different than the recessed board you attached an image of, Daniel, and my flat boards look a bit different that either of those in the details that are comparable. I am starting to believe that the lack of an exact match in basic features, excepting seating and fixing features, is not disqualifying.

About the catalog numbers, have either of you seen a catalog for the Profia?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Profia_lensboard.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	211491

Daniel, sorry that I missed completely the line above your image of the camera on flickr. You're saying the part I supplied an image of is for a Universal II?
    chers
    Tom

Plaubel Universal II or III I'd say with some assurance. Those II and III are the tan colored boards with flat edges, not pressed out edges, like the boards for the later Peco Profia. I have some black boards too, they came later I think and are all marked PS3. All my earlier Peco Profia boards are the medium grey color that matches the camera color. Plaubel went through a lot of phases of production and there is generally some overlap regarding accessory compatability. I've ordered the wrong thing several times Check what you already have versus internet pix.

The recessed Peco wide angle boards are all two piece affairs. Peco Jr/Makiflex boards fit into the larger frame, so just make sure you get the grey one. They all look similar so ask for measurements to make sure it will fit what you already have. I've made that mistake several times.

― Mark Twain