Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaubel Peco Profia

Plaubel Peco Profia

Got my new camera today a Plaubel Peco Profia with both 5x7 back and 5x7-4x5 reducing back. I'm just waiting for some 5x7 film holders to arrive now and I can go out shooting 5x7. It's beautifully engineered and surprisingly light when compared to my Horseman LX.

If anyone has any information on these cameras I would be grateful, the internet seems very light on information.

Between here and there

Re: Plaubel Peco Profia

Yes, it looks really good! And everything is light compared to a Horseman LX (used to have an LE 4x5").

I have one in 4x5, and have found it to be a very good studio camera. Plenty of movements and quite sturdy.

The company is still in business, in Frankfurt, and they have a website (though not a very good one).

BTW... Your front standard can be turned around 180°, to accommodate shorter focal-length lenses.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks for the suggestion Leigh, I did look at that earlier as most images I've seen seemed to have the swing controls on the outside of both standards.

I am having Mike Walker (of Walker Cameras) adapt a Plaubel lensboard for me to take a Horseman/Sinar board. I already have a Linhof to Horseman adapter so will be able to use all my lenses (all my 10 lenses are in Linhof mounts) on all my current cameras (except for the Horseman Woody I bought tonight) and even better I will be able to use my Sinar shutter on the Plaubel too.

OK. Not sure how you would use a Sinar shutter. It requires a standard to support it.

The shutter mounts on the back of the standard, between the standard and the bellows.

The db lenses rely on the thickness of that standard to keep the rear cell out of the shutter.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    OK. Not sure how you would use a Sinar shutter. It requires a standard to support it.

The shutter mounts on the back of the standard, between the standard and the bellows.

The db lenses rely on the thickness of that standard to keep the rear cell out of the shutter.

- Leigh
    The Sinar shutter has a male side and a female side so to speak, normally you would fit the male side of the shutter into the front standard and the female side would accept the bellows. If you turn the shutter around (and I'm just surmising here) could you not fit the male side into the front of the standard and then mount a lensboard into the female side. I have no DB lenses, I bought the shutter to have a play with old lenses (petzvals and the like) and would just mount them onto the front of the lensboard in some way, perhaps using a flange?

Just a thought I had, I'll find out more when I pick my shutter up from the Sorting Office in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    ...could you not fit the male side into the front of the standard and then mount a lensboard into the female side.
    You could do that, but the rear cell of the lens would protrude significantly through the shutter, probably damaging it beyond repair.

It would work with a front-mounted lens, anything that does not protrude through the lensboard.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    You could do that, but the rear cell of the lens would protrude significantly through the shutter, probably damaging it beyond repair.

It would work with a front-mounted lens, anything that does not protrude through the lensboard.

- Leigh
    Sorry Leigh, did you just miss this bit: and would just mount them onto the front of the lensboard in some way, perhaps using a flange?

You edited your post whilst I was typing

Nimble fingers.

- Leigh