Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Alternatives to the V700?

New Alternatives to the V700?

I'm looking to buy a flatbed scanner again, mainly to scan medium format (6x4.5 and 6x6).

I'm interested in whether there are new scanners out there on the market in the under-$1,000 range that compare favorably with Epson's V700 / V750 in terms of real resolution, DMax and workflow?

Thanks!

Re: New Alternatives to the V700?

Yes, the v700. I'd go for a used nikon first though. The 120 holders that come with the epson are just as worthless as the rest of them but you can get aftermarket holders (betterscanning) which are also worthless in my opinion and hold the film as flat as a frito lay. I have NOT tried their fluid mount holder but that would be my next move if I didn't have a drum scanner.

Andrew Moxom

Vinny, i've taken to using filmoplast tape on my negs to tape them emulsion side down on the print scanning platen of my m750 M pro, and it holds them pretty flat. I've also done it with a ground glass frosty side down on top of the negs for those really bendy negs. Again, it works quite well....no scientific testing done though.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Yes, the v700. I'd go for a used nikon first though. The 120 holders that come with the epson are just as worthless as the rest of them but you can get aftermarket holders (betterscanning) which are also worthless in my opinion and hold the film as flat as a frito lay. I have NOT tried their fluid mount holder but that would be my next move if I didn't have a drum scanner.
    Re Nikon scanners, are the Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED or 5000 ED models able to scan medium format film? How about the Coolscan V? All of these are available used locally ...

I'm not the authority on nikon scanners but they did make at least one that did or I wouldn't have suggested it. They even made one that did 4x5 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dubesor View Post
    Re Nikon scanners, are the Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED or 5000 ED models able to scan medium format film? How about the Coolscan V? All of these are available used locally ...
    I do not thinks so with the V, the others no. You need a 8000 or 9000.

I had a Konica/Minolta Multi scan ... i felt it was better than a Nikon 8000 ... Sold it and went with a epson v750...I think there is a new scanner on the market that will do medium format film ... cant remember the name of it ... i hear its good and in the 2000 range... got it ....Pacific Image Elect PrimeFilm 120 Multi-Format CCD Film Scanner PF120... there on ebay for about 1500

The Epson V500 is a great scanner also. Does 35mm & 120 film all sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by dncswclds View Post
    The Epson V500 is a great scanner also. Does 35mm & 120 film all sizes.
    I tested and it was just ok... the v600 for a few pennies more is light years ahead with LED transmission illumination. Wish my v750 had this

New and under $1000 means a flatbed, for which the 700/750 are probably your best bet. For medium format, the best used would be a Nikon Coolscan 8000 or 9000, but even used, those are going for much more than $1000. The only new medium format film scanner out there, and I don't think it's shipping yet, is the Plustek: http://plustek.com/usa/products/opti...roduction.html
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/