Thread: Price for a Beseler 57MB

Price for a Beseler 57MB

I know a photographer in my hometown that has a Beseler 57MB that was used in his professional photo studio for years. It's been sitting for years and he asked me to make an offer on it.
    With 4x5 and 5x7 negative carriers, but no lens, what would be a good offer? I've had some trouble finding accurate prices on these.
    Thanks in advance for any help

Re: Price for a Beseler 57MB

Not more than $100.
    I bought 5 omega D2's a few years back for $210 and my 23xl was free.

Depends, do you need a 5x7 enlarger or a 4x5? These are fairly hard to find here in the Mid_South. I got mine about 25 years ago and paid $200 for it without any lens. It does have the cold light head and glass 5x7 carrier. What do YOU think is a fair price? $100, $150, $200. I would go back to the seller and tell him prices are hard to find, quiz him on what he would feel comfortable selling it for. If he says $500/$1000 I'd say no thanks, there are plenty of 4x5's for cheap. Just my 2 cents. RandyB

mccolaix,

If you need a 5X7 enlarger because you are using a 5x7 format, then I would make a decent offer. A lot depends on your financial situation, as to what is a decent offer.

One item that might bring up the value of the enlarger, would be if it has a cold light head, in working condition. What about easels and timer?

On the other hand, if you are using 4X5 format, you can really find 4x5 enlargers from free on up. To give you an idea of prices. The last 45m series Beseler that I purchased came with a Schneider lens. I paid $40 for it and it came with a Beseler 23CII with a color head and Rodenstock lens.

Good luck,

Jose

First if you shoot 5x7 and work in a darkroom and you need it... it worth the most you will give and the least the seller will take. There is no "bluebook" for photo equipment that i know of, and if there was its out the window cuz of the changing technology of photography. I remember paying 1800 for a nikon body or 600 for a canon A1 body.... no look at how cheap they are.. The bad economy also has a lot to do with price. Its a buyers market out there. For instance i have bought some photo equipment off of ebay... at unbelievably low prices ... about half of what i would of paid a year ago. People are hurting and are sellin there stuff cheap....

There are two weak areas beside the bellows - the elevation motor and gear assembly are close to impossible to replace or fix, and the baseboard assembly needs to be in good shape to keep alignment. I had one of these and it is a heavy duty design, but I could not get the motor/gear assembly fixed when it gave out. I would not pay more than $100 for a unit because of the possibility that it would have a limited life span.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    There are two weak areas beside the bellows - the elevation motor and gear assembly are close to impossible to replace or fix, and the baseboard assembly needs to be in good shape to keep alignment. I had one of these and it is a heavy duty design, but I could not get the motor/gear assembly fixed when it gave out. I would not pay more than $100 for a unit because of the possibility that it would have a limited life span.
    I have this same enlarger, and it is a nice piece of equipment. Like Bob, I had issues with the elevation motor. However, that was easily fixed since the head fit nicely onto a 45MX frame that had a good motor. I lost a whole two inches of elevation doing that. My biggest fear was the cold light tubes. When those go, it's a pretty safe bet that your only solution will be to have Aristo custom-build a tube for you, and that won't be cheap. I got lucky and stumbled into somebody who had an extra cold light head but no enlarger to go with it and we quickly came to a deal. So I have a spare in my parts closet. If you can get it for a good deal, I'd say go with it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!