Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum vs. Inkjet

Platinum vs. Inkjet

I just want to post 2 different processes:
    The image below of a subject show with 8x10 Tachihara view camera using 300 Shnider lens, 8x10 HP5+ negative developed in Max-Pyro. First image: Negative scanned and printed with epson stylus pro 3000 Matt-heavy wight, and scanned. Second image: Negative printed with platinum and palladium on Arches platine paper ans scanned on same scanner.

Inkjet image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scn.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	76982

The Platinum/Palladium alt process print:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pt.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	76983

I hop you like the compassion

Nasser

Re: Platinum vs. Inkjet

i'm not sure what we're supposed to be seeing?

Pt/Pd has 3D look.

Inkjet is "flat", as always.

MMM??? I can make make two prints using the same process and get this same contrast diference,The scanning proccess and the surface texture of scanned results are a major factor,I print on a Epson 9900 and my inkjets are not flat as suggested ! . Cheers Gary

As Gary has pointed out, today we can make inkjet images that can't be distinguished from Pt/Pd prints. We can also make inkjet prints with the same color and dynamic range - on smoother matt paper - thus getting higher resolution than can be obtained by contact printing onto the hand-coated fine-art papers we use for Pt/Pd. I have one of those hanging on my wall in front of me, as I write this.

The main difference is archival longevity: a Pt/Pd print can be left in bright sun, and the image will stay intact without substantial fading or discoloration - until the paper disintegrates. The same cannot be said of inkjet prints.

Some inkjet prints can last a long time: the ones which use pigments instead of dyes. That's a long discussion.

When I first developed the negative and scanned it; I did not like the result, it was all look gray and a one level color! I tired with photo shop but did not like it. I did not want to waist my time printing it in Ptpd... but after 2 weeks I did, and was so pleased with the result, a great separation between the details, and a high dynamic great tonality.

Here's an image rendered 2 different ways. One appears more 3-dimensional than the other, but they are exactly the same except for color.

You might find this article helpful: http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/bronze.php

Comparing and judging two different printing processes by posting examples on a computer monitor is pointless. We aren't seeing what either of your images would look like when printed. We're seeing what they look like on a low-resolution, back-lit computer monitor. Not to mention the fact that there are many, many different ways that both of these images could have been printed. We're seeing an approximation of the way you chose, not some sort of universal, immutable way that all pt/pd and ink jet prints look.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

All you have demonstrated is your lack of skill with inkjet.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I got to say i am with Kirk and Ken on this discusion... and i have over 40 years experience in the dark both comercial and my own. I will be getting a Epson R3000 this week and the prints this turns out will be amazing. The only reason i use film over digital these days is because of love not performance. When i develop a photo with chemicals it is therapy to me. I am at peace with the world, i know hard to understand. I just love the smell of fixer. Then i scan and print cuz i gotta make the money....