Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Technika lens boards - what's so special?

Re: Technika lens boards - what's so special?

Bigger lenses,

Linhof made bigger lenses in Compound IV shutters fit via an extension tube thingie, which is how the Technika Heliar 240 f4.5 is mounted - To my amazement my T/Heliar mounted by Linhof actually works on my STv - I expected the front end to fold forwards

A slight digression, when using big lenses, the Heliar, Tele-Xenar and 300mm Symmar on my STv I pull the rear extension rod thingies out to bring the CoG back towards the rear standard as the hole in the base plate is in the wrong place

John

The Linhof OEM boards do fit better on Linhof cameras, they snap into place "just so". Also, if you own a Technika, Linhof has calculated and tested a lot of different lenses with them and made spacers to optimize where the lens sits so that you can get more focusing track underneath a wide angle lens - more precise focusing over a greater range. And also to allow borderline-sized lenses to close up inside the camera. Subtle details but part of the reason why they are such great cameras.

If you can handle the bulk, larger boards allow easier handling of the lens controls. If they are square all the better because you can mount the lens at different 90-degree orientations, which makes odd vantage points easier to do (overhead or low shots).

Crown Graphic boards should have been universal IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    . . . Crown Graphic boards should have been universal IMHO.
    No! I'm about to adapt my Pacemaker series SGs to the ubiquitous and easy to make 4x4 board so only the tiny Inba Ikeda will remain out of step with its (also easy to make) Linhof style board.

I think it has something to do with the Technika "glow". You know, just like Leica.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I actually bought an enameled emblem to replace a missing one, call me a fan boy but it looked sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    I see a lot of references to Technika lens boards and they seem to be very popular. Also see a lot of references to adapters from other popular brands to Technika. What is so special about the Technika lens boards?

Thanks!
    What's special? Mine have an enamel badge of a crest on them.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What's special? Mine have an enamel badge of a crest on them.

long time ago..I pried the crests off a couple boards to make cufflinks and lapel pins

course..I never wear shirts that need cufflinks or anything I could stick a lapel pin on - but it was a good idea I think

Drew Wiley

I've had so-so luck with generic boards. With my ebony, some fit, some don't. The tolerances are more than a "little" off on some of these import products. I use a Grimes
    adapter board to my Sinar and Phillips, and it is tightly machined, so won't accept a half-
    assed cheapo board ether. Just like those generic Horseman "or" Sinar boards that don't fit either, but only fit sloppy wooden cameras. In other words, I sent Grimes an actual Sinar
    branded board to adapt to the Technika plates. Well worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    long time ago..I pried the crests off a couple boards to make cufflinks and lapel pins

course..I never wear shirts that need cufflinks or anything I could stick a lapel pin on - but it was a good idea I think
    Linhof, or perhaps their distributor, sold a badge as a lapel pin.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Linhof, or perhaps their distributor, sold a badge as a lapel pin.
    Marflex may have them. We do not. But Linhof, in the past, did make some stick pins with the crest.