Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help with this please

Can someone help with this please

Hi,
    I have been offered a Durst Enlarger and lenses etc. I do not know what model or year it is and would like some assistance. It is all supposed to be in good working order but, I would like to know if any member can give me any information as to it's year, model etc. Thanks. Any help appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durst 1.jpeg 
Views:	130 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	76341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durst 2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	76342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durst 3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	76343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durst 4.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	76344

Re: Can someone help with this please

Grab it! I have a Durst 138 5x7 enlarger & really like working with it.

It is has a condenser head with condensers and bulbs! The bulbs are hard to find.

Thanks Guys, do you know what year it is and what I should be paying for it all? thanks again.

Hi OldPom - welcome to the forum, from another Aussie.

Value is difficult to determine for these in the local market. I've seen a Durst Laborator 1200 (35mm to 4x5 formats) sell for $800, while I bought mine for a fraction of that price. It really comes down to the number of buyers competing and how much they are willing to pay. Originally a kit like this must have cost several thousand dollars, but realistically I'd expect it would fetch $500 to $1000, perhaps. It is a real bonus to find one complete with all the necessary parts, so it might be worth a premium, even if you don't need the 5x7 capability. Many of these get sold off bit by bit, for parts, and the larger components discarded and scrapped. Good luck with it!

Thank you very much for the information. It is a very complete item, so will let you know how i get on with it.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpom View Post
    Thank you very much for the information. It is a very complete item, so will let you know how i get on with it.

thanks again.
    If you do get it, you may find the Durst equipment has some quirks, but there are many, many members here that use the Durst 138. You will be in good company.

Got a lot of extra toys with it too, the blubs alone are worth $100 a piece, extra carriers, the base board is a vacuum broad with a punch that mounts on its side so may have been used for graphic arts , what a score. It also has two posts on the bottom of the stand which make it a 139 mod.
    Last edited by Michael Clark; 1-Jul-2012 at 17:44. Reason: add

Thank you all so very much for all the info. I am picking the enlarger up on Wednesday, so will let you know how good a condition it is in. Just an extra question, it is about 2 metres high, does it come apart for transport? thank you again.

First, assuming it is the same as its big brother L184 8x10 version...

If you look where the lower part has a two vertical large diameter tubes of the stand at the top where the upper smaller diameter chrome tubes fit in, there should be a couple of fasteners that clamp the upper tubes in place. Loosen off those fasteners, and the upper part including the head should lift off. It will be awkward, as it will be off balance.

First however make sure you remove anything that could fall out (e.g. the two condensers).

Have you got a manual for it? I think PDF versions are available on-line or through members here.

Hope that helps,

Len